Customizing the iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Feb 21, 2009.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

So once again I have the iPod Touch fever and I'm really close to getting one, in the meantime I've been going through the boards reading up on things. I came across the thread to show your ipod touch screen and really liked seeing all the various screens that everyone had. My question, is there any way to customize the iPod Touch and use different themes and such legally?

It is my understanding that the only way to change the theme on the iPod Touch is using some sort of an illegal program. I really would like to use some of the themes I seen in the thread, but I certainly don't want to use anything but legal programs to do it.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your understanding is wrong.

Jailbreaking is not illegal.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Technically, it is. It breaks Apple's DRM and Apple has filed a case against it.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So because they sued, it's illegal?

5. brax.j macrumors regular

6. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yea, just because they complained that doesn't make it illegal. they will get smacked down promptly

apple is allowed to void your warranty if they find that you jailbroke it. so if you return it for any reason, be sure to restore it in itunes

7. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so the only way to do themes like that is to Jailbrake? And it isn't illegal to do this? After looking around on some of the boards it appears that Jailbreaking is more than just being able to customize the iPod, it is also a way to get things like apps for free. I really only want something that can change the look of the iPod screen so that it doesn't look like every other one out there. I don't mind paying for the things I want on my iPod, I would even pay to be able to customize the look of it, I just want a way to be able to do it.

So does it only void the warranty because Apple doesn't want you to use it? Or can it actually ruin your iPod?

Thanks!

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

it doesn't ruin your iPod purposely, but you have the capability of ruining your iPod, so be careful. the only bad thing i've gotten out of Jailbreaking is a little bit of a lag when you turn it on.

9. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

So can it actually ruin the iPod to the point that it cannot be repaired easily, with like a restore or something?

And is this the only way to change the look of the iPod screen? It seems like it would be alot easier for Apple to just allow people to change the screens and avoid having to use a program like this.

I guess if this is the only way to go it really isn't worth the risk, but it is pretty upsetting that this is the only option.

Thanks again

10. sharp65 macrumors 6502

It's not going to permanently kill your ipod, you can always restore it back to factory state.

11. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

So do we need to jailbreak to be able to customise the themes? I don't want to jailbreak - since I am an IT idiot and all that... but I want to be able to customise my theme =X I think it would be so stupid if we can't.. I mean, even an old phone allows customisation..

12. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

I totally agree, this is exactly how I feel. I want to be able to change the look of my iPod, but I don't want to void my warranty to do it. I dont really care about the app side of jailbreaking, I just want to change the theme, I don't see why Apple can't allow users to change just the theme of the iPod.

I'm kind of hoping that after the lawsuit Apple may make something available to change the look of the iPods, but take away the side that makes it questionable.

I'd love to be able to get a new look to my iPod but for me I don't think it is worth it to void my warranty and all.

Thanks again everyone!

13. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

So... it means that there are no other ways to change themes besides jailbreaking? Sighh...

14. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

That's the way I take it. I talked with Apple today and they said that there are no "Apple authorized programs" that allow you to customize the iPod. :(

15. mooreman macrumors newbie

Just do it, it's not a big deal. If you're worried about legality, don't use it for installing someone else's intellectual property. But there's literally hundreds of themes, skins, apps, etc. available that don't step on anybody's toes and are actually provided for free by the people that wrote them and Jailbreaking is the avenue you use to get them. Apple's problem with it is that eventually they want to charge you for the ability to do what jailbreaking does, but once you have paid for your Ipod, it's YOUR property and neither Apple nor anyone else can tell you what you can or can't do with it. The only hitch is that you risk voiding your warranty, so if that prospect doesn't bother you, then there's really no reason NOT to do it.

16. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Since Jailbreaking on its own isn't illegal it doesn't bother me anymore to use it. I was originally thinking it was illegal (based on what I found before I posted) but I would never download any of the apps for free. There are so many apps on iTunes I can't possibly get all the ones I want to fit on the iPod anyway, so I certainly don't need another source:) My biggest concern is making the warranty void (I don't always have the best luck, so I certainly want to be able to get any problems fixed along the way) and then the chance of the iPod bricking.

I really hope that Apple comes up with some way that we can customize the iPod to our liking but not worry about ruining it or having problems with the warranty.

17. Eärendil Guest

dude seriously, you don't have to be a douche because he hurt your jailbreaker feelings.

It pisses me off when people are mean to guys who don't know much about technology. let them be.

18. Sick` macrumors newbie

Would you mind pointing out where he was this so-called 'douche'?

19. mooreman macrumors newbie

I hear ya, but we'll all be waiting a long time for them to do it, and if they ever do, you can be sure it'll cost you. Jailbreaking's not for everybody, I was pretty nervous the first time I did mine, but after doing it several times it's not that big of a deal and I found out it really would be difficult to brick the thing, so you're pretty safe.

20. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

I am hesitating about jailbreaking not because of the legal aspect.. more of that most people said that jailbreaking 2g is pretty complicated..

My IT knowledge is limited to surfing and downloading stuff... not complicated things... and I wouldn't want to risk the ipod touch for something I am not confident of..

21. Eärendil Guest

well he clearly could have explained instead of just posting a harsh reply.

22. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Apple baited people by telling them they were going to implement a push service for apps, we all know how that went. I doubt they will make a customization app.