Customizing your iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by on the fly, Oct 20, 2008.

1. on the fly macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum. In fact I haven't gotten my iphone yet, but hopefully it will be very soon. I've been researching and even buying apps in preparation:cool: I was wondering what you folks know about how to customize your iphone screens, icons etc. I don't really want to unlock my phone right away. Does apple have anything along the lines of winterboard? If not are they planning on providing this app soon? As far as I can tell, this would be my biggest reason for going outside of apple. What would be the other benefits to unlocking? I don't mind paying something for great apps. Thanks for your help

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

nope you have to pwn 'jailbreak' it. iPhone 3G hasnt been fully unlocked yet!

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

:apple: seems to favor K.I.S.S. on their products, which is why IMHO they can say ':apple: , It just works' which is good!

For those willing to step outside that world the customization communities seem to be very friendly and amazing in what they can do. Some times its disappointing that :apple: won't seem to adopt or make available some of the more common things out there BUT again K.I.S.S.!

Over all jailbraking is now 5 clicks and done with almost a 0% of bricking.
    In the spirit of the early pioneers, JUST DO IT!! experiment see what you can make.

4. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Whats up with the whole "spring board" and then it was "summer" and now it
    s "winter" board. I remember when I jailbroke my first-gen that I used a program called springboard and when my friend jailbroke his 3g over the summer it was "summer"board. so whats up with the name changes ? are the just new versions like panther, leopard, etc. or are they different things completely?

ps. if it was going by the seasons, shouldnt there of been a FallBoard?

maybe a dumb question but one that im curious about

5. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

The name of the app that is the user interface on the iPhone is Springboard. This was named by Apple and i assume the name comes from that being the launching (or spring) point for all of the apps.

Summerboard was written for the 1.x software and is a play on the name Springboard. Winterboard is an improvement on Summerboard and is only for 2.x firmware and is clearly a play on the name Summerboard.

6. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Gotcha, i guess thats what i was assuming but im glad you clarified it

7. mutantblack macrumors regular

Jailbreak is the way to go. You can find what all the iphone is missing by installing apps from cydia. I jailbroke 3 iphone past week and no bricks at all. It's pretty safe. if you brick your phone, you can always restore back anyway.

8. on the fly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Flhusky.
    Which jailbraking software do you recommend? Does this allow you to get better apps that are free? And most importantly, is it true that you can just restore it with the click of a button and undo any harm to your iphone??? This worries me since I am NOT a tech savvy person and am aware that it voids the apple warranty- would this also kill the warranty for hardware issues??
    Again thanks for your help...I can't wait to get my iphone!!!!:apple:
    P.S. What part of FL are you in- I just moved to Jupiter?