Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I can easily highlight a word or a text using the mouse on The iPad Pro, but how do you do this if possible, cut and paste? Right now I have to use the Apple Pencil or another stylus.

Edit: I found a way to cut and paste. After highlighting the text using my mouse, I would then have to tap on the highlighted text with my finger or a stylus in order to bring up a way to copy it. I wish there were a way just to use the mouse to highlight and cut and paste will appear, but I guess I can’t find one at this time.

Last edited:

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Admittedly I'm using a Magic Trackpad 2 and not a mouse, but I'm able to bring up the action bar (Cut / Copy / Paste / etc) by secondary-clicking on the selected text. On the MT2 secondary click is done by using two fingers instead of one. For the MT2 it can be enabled under Settings / General / Trackpad / Two-Finger Secondary Click.

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I'm using a logitech M590 and right out of the box with no setting up the right button brings up the cut / copy contextual menu. So I guess you need a two button mouse. Another way to manipulate the selected text directly is with a long press: after a little while the select portion is 'lifted' and you can drag and drop it around. Kind of like a real-time cut/paste.
[automerge]1585476056[/automerge]
I just tested with a magic mouse 2 and out of the box the secondary click is disabled: you have to go into "Settings / General / Trackpad / Two-Finger Secondary Click" and select left or right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davefevs

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
OK, I figured it out. I had my Right mouse button maped to a different function. I have now since remapped the right mouse button to none and now I can use the right button for copy. Thank you guys. Still learning

Last edited:
Reactions: Puonti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.