Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
UI looks clunky still in that video. I watched a video of copy/paste on the Pre and it still looked like some hoops needed to be jumped through with touching the keyboard then tapping the screen.

How is RIM doing so far as a company in the past couple years? We all know Apple is doing well and Apple jobs are still plentiful and hiring. Do you guys think that RIM jobs are still out there and being created in light of the enocomy?

Ooops...I mean "jobs at RIM"...that doesn't really play off the tongue well either-darn I just did it again. I give up.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The pain looks familiar.

Reminds me of scrolling forum topics on mobile Safari, and accidentally clicking a link you didn't want... then having to stop the page load if you can... then going backward, which on the iPhone usually means waiting while it reloads the previous page... then you can try scrolling again.

And all you wanted to do, was to scroll to the bottom of the stupid page...
I agree on that.
A simple (maybe even invisible) scroll bar on the right side would fix it. :mad:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
... Do you guys think that RIM jobs are still out there and being created in light of the enocomy?

Ooops...I mean "jobs at RIM"...that doesn't really play off the tongue well either-darn I just did it again. I give up.
LOL. I'm sure Rocco would be proud.

Aaaaaaaaanyway... :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
How is RIM doing so far as a company in the past couple years?

Their sales keep rising. In the past year, they usually sold almost twice as many Blackberries in the USA as Apple does iPhones. Just the Curve has done that by itself.

They've gone from almost all enterprise sales, to more than 50% sales to "regular" consumers. I think this past quarter that jumped to 80%.

So, like most smartphone makers, they're reaping the benefit of Apple giving such phones mass publicity. Increased sales for everyone.

According to Nielson surveys, the top seven smartphone models currently owned in the USA are:

1. RIM BlackBerry 8300 series (Curve, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8350i)
2. Apple 3G iPhone
3. RIM BlackBerry 8100 series (Pearl,8110, 8120, 8129)
4. Apple iPhone series
5. Palm Centro
6. RIM BlackBerry 8800 series (8820, 8830)
7. RIM BlackBerry 9530 series (Storm)

On the downside for RIM, over a quarter of their sales come through Verizon. And if Verizon is now pushing Android.... well...

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Yup. User commented this:

Also, palms isn't that bad. Hold Alt and you can select. Then that touch thing on the bottom works like Ctrl, and you do the shortcuts like on a computer.

Yep.

People in this thread: listen to that comment! This guy had no clue how to use the phone. Pick a better demo.

You can slander the Storm 2 all you want -- if you have someone who knows what they're doing.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We have a slang term here in London for that process: "LONG". :D

Pray tell what the LONG press slang term is, I'm curious.

YES! Finally someone that talks sense here. This 'droid' commercial just OOZES usability and stability. Looking at that commercial makes me dream about how fantastic Droid will be.

Look at the grunge style and mysterious looking logo. FANTASTIC MARKETING, PEOPLE.

e0is7q.png

That's NOT talking sense ... that is talking HYPE! Until you actually use the device its all hype. Sure its SUPPOSED to be better than current Android smartphones: but non are even good enough to compare - don't get me started on Hero and HTC's STUPID insistence on that garbage trackball business!!

If you think Droid is good, wait until Acer Liquid or SE Rachel come out > both packing Android OS 2.0.

Sorry but the current Storm is an EPIC fail! Of all the firmware debacle's and device issues - it has amongst the LEAST satisfactory for its users that where fooled into keeping it longer than 30days. If you're thinking initial sales: based on pre-orders; is enough to call it a success, then WHY did Balsillie and team get rid of the current screen setup when originally they've stated it was the BEST solution for such a device. Although RIM doesn't openly admit it was a fail - they state it needed some serious improvements. Unfortunately for a true business device - by corporate users that NEED to have mobile email and corporate share/corporate application access while mobile its hardly implemented.

With the LARGE gap of releases between the 8330, 8830 World Edition and the Tour ... I HARDLY believe that more than 25% of RIM's sales in the USA come from Verizon!! With the 8900, Bold, 8520, 8120, 8110, 8220 etc for AT&T, T-Mobile, West ... and the same CDMA versions that Verizon has for AllTel & Sprint where their coverage is available and Verizon's isn't you'd have to provide more reliable proof Verizon is taking 25% of sales. Not to mention their are MORE corporate price plan deals with AT&T than Verizon. With corporations that have business in States that neighbour from Texas to California (like BNSF) the majority of their users ARE on AT&T not Verizon and have been for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.