Cut dent macbook pro early 2008 Peryn

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Aug 11, 2010.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I have a pretty big big dent where the cd-rom entrance is. It really goes out. As I do not have money to fix this issue going the apple way, I think my best option is to cut the dent and buy a protector for my machine which I already have now.

Now, the problem is how do I cut aluminium? How would you guys cut that?

Thanks.. .

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

To cut aluminium that small, you need a professional laser cutter.

Just pay apple to fix it, if you cant afford it, I'm sorry but you're gonna have to live with it.

3. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sure there is another option......common it's not even 1 cm thick...

4. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I am not sure what type of tool would work, but maybe go to a hardware store and see if someone there has any ideas or knows of something that might work.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

do you mean that the bit of aluminum above the superdrive (combodrive?) sticks out? if so, you can take off the topcase and use a TINY bit of superglue to attach the protruding aluminum to the frame.

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

tin snips could cut it. about $10 at hardware store. a pic would be helpful to see exactly what you are talking about.

8. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

You should really just live with it if it doesn't cause problems with your drive entrance.

tin snips not the likely tool for this, dremel would be your best bet but who knows what you could cause more damage to it.

9. Zak.V macrumors member

Post a picture, i agree tin snips would be to crude for the job.

The best fix would be to pull out the superdrive, get a small piece of wood for each side of the case and tap it with a hammer. It will never be perfect but will become barely noticeable.

You could just try tapping it all but its a bit risky, again use wood to hit flat and protect the finish.

Cutting it would be the very last option, makes shavings and creates holes...

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm not sure why ou can bend the dent back, but if you posted a picture of the damage, that would help us understand the problem. Cutting it first make since to me.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Instead of cutting, did it ever cross your mind that spare parts might be available on the market? I don't mean returning the machine to Apple who'll rip you off! I meant buying those required parts from sites like those and doing the fixing your self, lots of tutorials online:

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts
    http://www.pbparts.com/
    http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=8022
    http://www.thebookyard.com/apple_macbookpro_17_parts.php?cPath=39_65

12. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

at $230 bottom case for an almost 3 year old computer, not thanks! I went to the jewelry store and he cut me the dent...so, now it's invisible!yay! all for the price of $4!

13. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke