Cut music file without quality loss

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyberpunk, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cyberpunk macrumors newbie

Is there an application that will cut a music file without having to re-encode.

I want to cut/split? a single music track into separate smaller tracks. I could use audacity but this will result in a loss of audio quality.

If I import a lossless file into audacity, cut it and export to lossless will this result in lower quality?

I am also looking for a similar application for video files.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

You can cop and change the files all you want but by decreasing file size you almost always loose quality in one way or another.

4. cyberpunk, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012

cyberpunk thread starter macrumors newbie

who mentioned mp3.... what knowledge did you just part by sharing this.

I understand that mp3 is lossy. but if I were a person who did not know that, after reading your sentence I still wouldn't know. So what was the point in replying.

5. Peace, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You mentioned MP3 in your unedited original post.

6. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Fission by Rogue Amoeba does that. Great program.

7. calguy, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

calguy macrumors newbie

I use QT 7 Pro with Lion or any other OS X. It works well with any mp3 file. Edit the file or just copy a section and do a com-n and paste so you have a new file without changing the original. If the original is in iTunes, even if it was a DL from the store, QT 7 is allowed to open it. When saving, it just keeps the original source and doesn't encode again unless you want to change the file to AIFF ( lossless ) or another type with export file option. And yes it works the same for video files which is why it is still so popular. QT X can edit but only has a trim feature which seems to work but I haven't really used it much.
    If I want to do many changes to an audio file I use Peak LE 7 which has a lot more options. It is a smaller version of their pro app.