Cut & Paste: Anyone want to speculate on "when and if"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Argelius, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

Easily my single biggest gripe about the iPhone (which I totally love) is that I can't cut and paste anything.

Seems an odd omission given the iPhone's touch screen abilities. Every other Palm or Windows Mobile smartphone I've owned (and trust me, I've owned them all...) could do this.

Just curious if anyone cares to speculate on if this feature will ever be added to the iPhone.

2. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I used to be hopeful. I'm going to have to guess Nope. not going to happen.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Just how would they implement the ability to select text though? Touch and drag does the magnify thing and double touch zooms so I think apple left it out on purpose in favor of more useful functions on a smaller screen.

4. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I think cut n paste will be the iPhone equivalent of crossfading on the iPod...requested by many, repeatedly rumored to be coming, ultimately vaporware.

6. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

wow that would be so simple and easy

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

cut and paste wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't have to re-type text due to no multi SMS or SMS forwarding....

8. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

I do hope that Apple will eventually add this function through a software update. Copy and Paste would be a welcome feature to many iPhone users.

9. ibwb macrumors regular

Of course this is coming, just like the dozens of other features that any iPhone owner can list. The platform is so new, and has such great potential, that it's easy to think of new things. The challenge for Apple will be to avoid making misdesigns that would cause problems down the road.

Apple's philosophy with features is quality, not haste.

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The thing that is worrying me is that the iPhone has already been out for 6 months with only a couple of minor updates bringing few new features. I hope cut and paste comes out before the next iPhone does.

11. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It hasn't actually been out even FOUR months yet!

Jesus! Give them time!

-Leemo

12. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I really don't see why this is taking so long to update.

13. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The point I'm making is that traditionally phone updates are very few and far between - so complaining that something hasn't been implemented after four months, when other things have been sorted and a new application has been added is a bit impatient.

I'm sure it's annoying not having cut and paste - here in the UK we don't even (officially) have the damn phone itself yet.

Be patient.

-Leemo

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Sure, Wednesday, May 7, 2008 at 4:53 pm (EST).

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's more than four months. It's been in the works for a couple of years. It went to field acceptance testing at ATT back last April.

But obviously the ATT field testers had few expectations compared to many of us :D

(Next time, Apple should use people from here, eh?)

Are you in the software field? Four months is an eternity these days. We're supposed to move the earth every two weeks now!

16. calvy macrumors 65816

I laughed my butt off at that part of the video. Hilarious way to end a somewhat serious video. Maybe I've just had a little too much tonight.

17. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I'm going to hold you to that guestimate, and bump this post back from which ever archive it may rest in on May 7 at 3:53 pm EST .... so we can have a count down to the truth! :D