Cut/Paste file in finder and moving file related Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by YahonMaizosz, Nov 28, 2007.

1. YahonMaizosz macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

Hi guys,
    I am a Windows vista user and had been a windows user ever since I touched my first computer (12 years ago). With the release of leopard, I am getting more and more attracted to switch to Mac OS X. Besides, the ability to run Vista in Mac OS X really seems like an awful lot of advantage to a new user like me. I also love the way the OS actually looks.:)

However, I am having some issues with Mac OS X. I had been learning Mac OS X 10.4 in my school computer lab (Power Mac G5) and I noticed some horrible issues with Mac OS X.:(

Issues:
    1. I had trouble trying to CUT/PASTE files from my USB flash drive to the HARD DISK. I can't seem to find the command "CUT" in the FINDER. I tried to google it and still no luck. As a result, I have to Manually drag and drop files to the hard disk myself. This is getting annoying since I have to scroll up and down when I have to "CUT" a file from the bottom of the folder all the way up. If I am correct, Windows had this feature ever since from day 1. Can someone help me on this?:mad:
    2. When I am using FIREFOX in MAC OS X and found an Image I like, I cannot save the Image using the "Save image as" command. This is very strange. I tried FIREFOX in windows and click the "Save image as" and it brings up a dialog box where I can choose the destination folder where I want to save the file. In MAC OS X, the only way I can save an image is to "Drag the Image" - "Drop the image" in the finder/folder. Sometime, when I maximize Firefox, I had to resize it first before I can drag and drop the picture into the desired folder. This might seems like a small issue, but it is very irritating. Imagine having to "Resize" - "Open Finder" - "Drag" - "Drop" before you can eventually save the file??? Can someone help me on this??:mad:

All in all, these are the small issues that can actually hinder me from purchasing a new mac pro (Penryn processor) next year. It is not a big issue, but it sure is irritating. I figured that such an Advanced OS should be able to handle these menial task without causing a confusion to the users. Hope that someone can help me fix these issues.:eek:

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Many have the same issue as well. The Finder doesn't allow you to cut and paste at all, only copy and paste to another location, so if you want to move the file off of your other volume, or thumb drive/hard drive you will have to copy it to a new location and then delete it.

As for images, you just drag them off of the page and onto the desktop, or right click (if you have a two button mouse) and hit the "save image to..." or "download image to...) option.

The cut and paste feature in the Finder was a bummer for me to, although I didn't miss it that much once I figured out how to move files around the finder.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can hold command while you drag and drop to cut the files. I don't like this much either.
    It should be an option in the Context Menu, it certainly is for me, you can get this by right clicking. You can right click on a Mac with any USB two button mouse, two fingers on the trackpad and click on a laptop, or control click on any Mac.

4. YahonMaizosz thread starter macrumors regular

YahonMaizosz

My school has the Power Mac G5 with a single button mouse. I tried using the CTRL + Click to stimulate the "Right Click" command. (Is that right guys?). When I did that with the image file, it brought up a "Save image as" dialog box. When I clicked that option, the dialog box just disappear. That is very strange. Maybe my school is limiting the function of MAC OS X 10.4, preventing it to save image files?? I am just guessing though.
    Anyway, MAC OS X 10.4 is a great OS, so great that Vista copied its entire code from it. Hahaha...

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yep sounds like it.