Cut/paste files & folder view?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discofuel, Mar 16, 2010.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I think os x is superior to Windows in almost every way but I do wish I could perform two simple actions the way Windows works.

The first is the ability to 'cut' and then paste files. If I want to move files to a different folder, I've got to open up another finder window and drag and drop.

And secondly (and most annoying) is switching folder views (icons, list etc). On Windows when you change the view of a folder, it automatically becomes the default view for that folder. In os x changing the view changes the global view across all folders, unless you apple-j and tick the 'always open in...' which would be a real hassle to do for every folder!

Is there any way to achieve these actions in os x?

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Not this again!

**facepalm**

You shouldn't label your thread like this.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you'd be better served by picking a thread title that reflects what you're needing help with.

Second, searching the forum with MRoogle will usually find answers to most of your questions:

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

this sounds like such a troll thread...

as to your concerns:

the copy - paste argument is old. very old. if you're really annoyed by it, buy pathfinder or whatever it's called.

the view thing is meh.

ah well, stupid thread title.

5. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Title changed.

Thanks I'll take a look

Maybe to you...​

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I always find this fascinating psychology
    I use both OSX and Windows back and forth, and I never seem to get confused

These apparent glaring deficiencies that are found in OSX and not in Windows never seem to cross my mind

And it has never once occurred to me to go to a Windows Forum to post a complaint about how Windows does or doesn't do something that OSX does or doesn't do

Cut and paste has been been killed and resurrected so many times around here it needs to be a sticky

7. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

So do I and I didn't say anything about being confused.

I like to view folders with lots of files in list view, and folders with few files in icon view. It helps me navigate to my files faster.

Who's complaining? I was simply asking if something was possible.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wish Windows and OS X were exactly the same! Everything that is wrong with Windows is right in OS X and VV!!!!

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

You don't have to have both locations open...you can grab the file and hover over various folders to have them pop-open and you can navigate to where you want to drop the file. Or, add the destination folder to the favorites on the left side of the finder navigation window if you transfer a lot of files to this folder.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just read the other threads on this. If you want the capability, you can have it with some scripting.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So you do know that you can set different views for different folders, right?

Others would be frustrated by the "changes that stick" solution you're after. I often want to use a different view temporarily. I know that I can then just close the window, and the next time I open it, it will revert back to the originally set view. I like that. It would be an extra step to change it back.

So, programmers had a choice: an extra step for you, or an extra step for me. I won! ;)

12. chroniceater macrumors newbie

Hey found this here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPByQ24gwGM

1. Copy the files you want to move (command + C)
    2. Go to the destination folder you want to paste the files and click (command+option/alt+V)

Hope this will help :D

13. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Lol you are replying to a thread that is almost 3 years old - We know you can copy and paste in Finder it was introduced in July 2011 with Mac OS X Lion (10.7) that was released after the last post in this thread.