Cut the Cord: Need my Sports!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Speedracer04, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Alright, so I cut the cord with my cable subscriber quite awhile ago and have been doing just fine streaming and torrenting shows Im interested in. However, I am really starting to miss my sports, so Im curious what all of you do in order to get them?

Any place people have found to stream them for free online? Im not too keen on paying stupid high subscription services for MLB.com or something.

Oh, and I already utilize ESPN3 for college games...but with hockey season starting soon I need to do something! :(

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

For sports, people here actually suggest to look into the lowest-cost cable package to see if they have the sports channels (or enough, at least) that you'll want. I know, you cut the cord, and it'd suck going back, but that's what some people do.

Otherwise, there are sites that do stream hockey games, although they tend to come and go. And no, I can't tell you what they are (I think it's a MRTOS violation), but you can probably find some via Google. Also, if you just want highlights, I think there are some podcasts in iTunes that do just that.

3. powerman macrumors regular

powerman

I listen on the radio, or go to the bar with friends.

4. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

Thinking about cutting the cord....

Worried about no sports...

would really like to save a ton of $$

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I did this research recently. I can get everything I want for significantly less than cable, except for sports. I'm convinced are no acceptable alternatives. I've accepted the fact that I'm stuck with cable until something new develops. I cannot go without my Phillies games.

6. craigsharp macrumors regular

Just a suggestion... I recently went from AT&T DSL (crappy) to Suddenlink Cable Internet (crappy again but at least it stays connected). I told them all I wanted was Internet so I'm paying $20/month for their fastest available in my area at 3mb. But the deal maker is that I plugged the cable into my TV and voila! I have their basic cable... ESPN ESPN2 Fox Sports... Plus of course my OTA HD abc cbs nbc fox... so i'm pretty well covered... of course I don't get ESPN in HD but better than nothing... right?

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Better than nothing != acceptable (for everyone)

Gong to a bar is better than nothing. Listening on the radio is better than nothing. Buying binoculars and watching the game on my neighbor's TV is better than nothing. :p

8. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

There are some streaming sites where you can find sports games. Quality is a little sketchy though.

9. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

you all think that they will ever get a live video ad-on?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're happy with primetime games for the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. you can get by just fine with an OTA antenna (depending on where you live). If not you're pretty much SOL.

11. darster Suspended

Thats the part that sucks with the MLB network as it has the blackout rule for your local team. Luckily for me my team is not in my local market, and the MLB package for $79 is a great deal. Now hopefully the NFL package will come to Roku or Apple tv next year like it has for PSP this year. When that happens, the cable will be cut.

12. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

I'm sure the Dev team is working on something...

Icefilms rules.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Isn't that NFL package only for people who can't get DirectTV? I think you have to prove that it isn't available for your home.

14. JYork23 macrumors member

There will be no live content delivered to settops beyond the deals with the current broadcast partners and DirecTV until 2014 at the earliest. There is also a broadband solution available. I suppose you can find a way to connect that platform to your settop, but it's not convenient as a TiVo or AppleTV box.

FYI...there is now the ability to watch every game on-demand after the broadcast partner has aired it.

15. darster, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

darster Suspended

I thought it was available for everyone.
    ----------

16. darster Suspended

17. craigsharp macrumors regular

If you know a thing or two about satellite... you could always get you BUD (big ugly dish) and get true fta... not the kind that you have to hack, but there are usually live feeds that aren't encoded that you can always pull in...

18. darster Suspended

I actually get along with my neighbors. That rules out BUD.