Cut things out of images?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PurpleCliff, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PurpleCliff macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

I'm looking for a (preferably free) way to cut things like people out of images, so that I can paste them on top of other images etc.
    I've seen it done all over the place but have no idea how to do it myself. What software for Mac can do this?

Thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Gimp perhaps? It's similar to photoshop but it's free.

3. PurpleCliff thread starter macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

Awesome. I'll check that out. Do you know the name of the specific 'tool' which I'm after inside Gimp?

4. Steve-M macrumors regular

You can download Gimp for OS X here. The free select tool seems to work best for what your wanting to do. Think of it as a point to point selection tool. After you have your image selected, then cut & paste as needed. Gimp is well documented. I would recommend downloading the help file installer. This will allow you to use help from with in Gimp. You can also read the help files online if you prefer. :)

5. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I think that OP should learn how to use PS from at least Youtube videos before trying to use either Gimp or Photoshop, to understand layers and masks at least.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I do this with Preview all the time. If it's a simple cut and paste, Preview works fine. If you want to get more elaborate, something like Photoshop or Gimp is probably your best bet.

7. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

To be honest unless you are experienced from cutting something from an image its pretty difficult. For example if you are cutting a person that lots of flowing hair or the background is not made of a few colors.

I think new Photoshop Elements has functionality to help with this. If they have a 30 day trial version I would try that. Do you know anyone who is experienced with photoshop? If so ask them for help.