Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jatt123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Fairfield,CA
As in the title, they are back this year claiming to unlock ANY AT&T iPhone including the iPhone 4S. I was thinking of buying but I wanted to ask some questions for the buyers of the service from last year. Is your unlock working after the service was shut down? Has AT&T or apple blacklist you? Also what did you do if you needed to get a replacement iPhone from apple? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

daphnek

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Germany
more info on cutyoursim plz

A friend recently gave me his 'old' iPhone 4, but it is locked to god knows where - most likely some australian carrier.
Is cutyoursim a legit site? Can someone provide some feedback on their services?
I was thinking of buying their iPhone Network Finder/Carrier Detector, and then maybe the remote unlocking. Do you have any idea how they add the IMEI in Apple's whitelist?

jatt123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Fairfield,CA
A friend recently gave me his 'old' iPhone 4, but it is locked to god knows where - most likely some australian carrier.
Is cutyoursim a legit site? Can someone provide some feedback on their services?
I was thinking of buying their iPhone Network Finder/Carrier Detector, and then maybe the remote unlocking. Do you have any idea how they add the IMEI in Apple's whitelist?

Well, it with all the research I have conducted (google), it comes that this very same company had a unlock service last year and they actually came through with the remote unlock (through iTunes). As far as I read about how they unlock the iPhones is that they have access through a carrier which allows them to add IMEI to apple whitelist servers or I have read that they have a "insider" working for apple that have access to the whitelist server. I have bought the service but I'm waiting for my unlock still. The site said it will take from 15 to 20 days for the unlock to be complete. Once the unlock is complete, they will email me instructions to sync it with iTunes. I will post my results I get my unlock hopefully! I bought mine on the 7th, so I should have mine unlocked by the 27th if all goes well! I hope I helped!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Considering that there are no unlock options for people who are on 4.11 bb or went dumb and upgraded to 5.1, this is the only option. Also, it's cheaper than buying a factory unlocked phone. :rolleyes:
Looks quite expensive. $185 for an AT&T unlock. :eek: If it were a lot cheaper, it may be worth considering.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Nice to have this option back. Hopefully they will also provide unlock support for people using non-ATT such as Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yep, their "source" got caught
AFAIK few, if any, phones got unlocked (I saw only one post where someone claims their unit was unlocked)
I ordered within the 1st hour (15 days ago) and I got refunded.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Looks quite expensive. $185 for an AT&T unlock. :eek: If it were a lot cheaper, it may be worth considering.

Considering many people have been paying $450 additional for an unlocked iPhone, paying just $185 to get the same thing is a lot cheaper.

The service is shady as hell though. THAT is what kept most people taking advantage of it, not the price.

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
Considering many people have been paying $450 additional for an unlocked iPhone, paying just $185 to get the same thing is a lot cheaper.

The service is shady as hell though. THAT is what kept most people taking advantage of it, not the price.

Agreed on the cost factor, it's much cheaper than buying an unlocked iPhone.

If it works.

And, yes, while the service is shady in the sense that it's a "grey market" (i.e., shady!) way to get an unlock, the retailer offering it is considered to be pretty legit by musclenerd and a few others.

At any rate, it seems like everyone is being refunded and that's a strong point in the retailer's favor.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
If the phone is replaced by Apple. I presume they will replace it with a locked AT&T version. In that event will the retailer provide another unlock? I believe No.

skyfreedom

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
Yep, their "source" got caught
AFAIK few, if any, phones got unlocked (I saw only one post where someone claims their unit was unlocked)
I ordered within the 1st hour (15 days ago) and I got refunded.

Also curious when did you get your refund?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If the phone is replaced by Apple. I presume they will replace it with a locked AT&T version. In that event will the retailer provide another unlock? I believe No.

That's an interesting scenario. The IMEI should register as a factory unlocked phone, but the serial number would probably register as an ATT phone and that's most likely what they would go by.

daphnek

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Germany

I don't think it's certain that apple will replace it with a locked phone. I was at a genius bar a couple weeks back for a broken iphone 4 screen and they offered a replacement phone (with an additional cost of ~150euro). I asked if the new phone will still be locked to the carrier, and the employee replied "I don't know, we'll have to wait and see". I didn't get the phone after all, so I can't say if it would have been locked. (Here is how I resolved the locked issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14529236 - it's a longish post)

If the info on which carrier a phone is locked to, is associated with just the IMEI then the replacement phone will definitely be unlocked. If it's associated with the serial as well, then I am assuming that if you have unlocked your phone from any carrier other than AT&T - which is known that has a no-unlocking policy - the replacement phone will also not be locked.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Just out of curiosity, when did you get your refund?

Several hours after I received their "Sorry, we cannot unlock phones" email

----------

If an unlocking service is successful in getting your IMEI into the "whitelist" on Apple's servers, the phone will remain unlocked.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I'd pay it tomorrow if I knew it would unlock 04.11 and that it would stay that way.

Anyone feel like being a guinea pig?

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
i bought cutthesim for my IMEI lastweek, and so far i havent received any email saying that " sorry we cant do it "..i am still hoping...
Also, i wrote an email on their email address y'day. and got reply back that i have to wait upto 20 days....
so i have cross my fingers ...waiting..

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
And this is why i purchase factory unlocked iphones direct from apple. None of these games for me thanks.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
And this is why i purchase factory unlocked iphones direct from apple. None of these games for me thanks.

Factory unlocked iphone where I live costs, $950 USD... I'll play the games a bit longer.

I just wish we were all as awesome as you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.