Cutting a micro sim into a Nano sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frozzbite, Sep 11, 2012.

1. frozzbite macrumors member

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

no one will really know until they get theirs hands on it. Service providers will give you a SIM, or if you order a phone online it comes with the proper SIM card...it just needs to be activated.

3. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Doubt you can cut the micro any smaller without compromising the chip itself, besides, everything seems to not be compatable anymore with previous models. Control baby!

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

5. profets macrumors 68040

That article is nearly a year old, well before the nano sim was even decided on.

I think it will be possible to cut but it will be very difficult. Need to trim almost right to the contacts and then also shave it down a bit to make it thinner than the micro-sim size.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

6. zhandri macrumors 6502

i bought a nano sim to micro sim adapter and cut down my micro sim to the size of a nano sim, sandpapered it down a little and it works in my iphone 4s. there is a thread on a german forum. pictures might still help you

http://www.congstar-forum.de/endger%C3%A4te/handys-smartphones/24077-nano-sim-f%C3%BCr-kommendes-iphone/index2.html#post177123

the edges of the chip have no contacts or functions so it's no problem to cut it down as the chips for the nano and the micro are absolutely identical

7. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

This is great news. I cant understand german though. Can you guys say if the thickness of the sim needed to be cut as well?
    Did it work in the device after cutting?

Some english instructions with pictures or even a video would be great for the whole world to watch and to make the frontnews on ever website about apple^^

8. Radiating macrumors 65816

The website your posted is written by an idiot who has never physically tried to modify anything and has no experience tinkering with cell phone electronics

You can just modify your sim into a nano sim. There are already Sim cutters around that will cut a regular/micro sim into a nano sim.

[​IMG]

You'll have to wait until they are more widely available as they're just rolling out.

The thickness difference between the nano sim and micro sim is 0.09 mm, less than a tenth of a milimiter, which is not significant. All electrical connectors have some tolerances to them, otherwise they wouldn't work. And the tolerances wouldn't show any difference to a tenth of a milimiter. A tenth of a milimiter is less than the thickness of a really thin sheet of paper.

Unless the iPhone uses some sort of ultra thin ultra precise sim reader, you shouldn't have to sand the bottom in addition to cutting it, but if you do it will take only a few passes with 2000 grit.

Hope that helps.

9. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

we need a cutter for micro to nano not mini to nano^^

i also think 0,09mm is too small to require sanding. However it may be a bit harder to insert the sim.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Carriers will give them to you if you request it.

11. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

No not all from the start.

12. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

There will probably be sim cutters for the Nano Sim just like there were for the Micro Sim. If you're on an official iPhone carrier then it's no big deal because they will usually just give you one for free if you go to the store and tell them you need one. Though I have known a few AT&T stores to try and charge $20 for one.

13. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

VeRy interested in this also as I am currently using Straight Talk. I wouldn't think the .09 mm thickness would be a big deal, but I guess we'll see.

14. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

Thread revival time.

Just got back from a holiday to Bali.

SIM cards there are all the original large size, so they need to be cut down to size to fit a modern iPhone. This is generally done with scissors.

A couple of years ago I bought a SIM card cutter from http://173.192.108.132/ Cost very little, and I've since used it on a couple of trips.

VERY useful. On the most recent trip I watched the girl wreck two SIM cards in a row by cutting them too small.

I walked the few hundred metres to the hotel room, retrieved my cutter and cut another SIM to size easily.

Also take a nail file or small sharp knife - there will still be plastic edges on the SIM card that need to be trimmed down a bit.

When traveling, it's also useful to keep a SIM ejection pin/tool in your wallet.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...er-cutters-for-ipone-iPhone-5/2051920572.html