Cutting Bodyguardz corners

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Evman101, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Evman101 macrumors member

Ok, so I installed the Bodyguards on my white 3G last Saturday.

By Tuesday night I was fed up with the corners not sticking down, and the bubbles not going away (that was my fault, I neglected to squeegee them adequately), so I stripped the back off and used the second back piece to try again. Everything seemed to be going a lot better, but today the corners are still sticking up no matter what I do. It's annoying as anything. I can deal with some dirt or whatever, but the corners actually make the phone feel worse, which I hate.

So my question is: is there an easy way to either get the corners to stick or to cut them?

I tried taking both a swiss army knife and an actual razor blade to them, but the material is so strong I just end up stretching it out and making it worse. Also, I'm kinda afraid of accidentally knifing the actual phone itself, or worse, ME!

Has anyone cut the corners off their bodyguardz and have any tips?

Thanks!

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

no cutting required. besides, like you mention, it is tough as nails to actually cut it, without stretching it to the point where it is "broken"

all that is required is TIME and patience. if it doesn't stick the first time, let it sit for another 20 minutes, and then try again. if it doesn't align correctly, peel it all off and start over again (and wait for the 20 minutes or so)

it is incredibly time consuming, you have to be incredibly lucky to get it perfect on the first try. there are too many places that have to be lined up correctly (the volume button, dock connector, on/off button, etc)

3. HaroldC macrumors regular

I had a similar problem when I first applied mine. When I would 'palm' the corner or just hold it down for ~1 min, it would hold for a little while and then start to lift again.

But I found another solution: using a rubber band to hold down that corner overnight. I just used a rubber band, that was a little smaller than the phone and looped it once around the troubled corner, not too tight - it doesn't need that much pressure. Let it sit overnight and viola! no lifting corner anymore!

Good Luck!

4. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, will this work if the back was applied more than 24 hours ago? I've used my second back piece and can't exactly reapply...

5. HaroldC macrumors regular

I did it last night, and it was over 48 hrs after I initially applied it.......

6. pflau macrumors 6502

After you got the corners to stick, did you try using a blow dryer at high setting to really heat up the corner so they would stay down??

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

no. again, you need time and patience to allow it to dry.

if it is wet, it is slippery. if it is dry, it is tacky (in a good way) and sticky. if you use a hair dryer, my concern is that you could over-dry it

8. pflau macrumors 6502

You can't over-dry it. The reason I asked is that I was able to get the corners to stick by pressing them against an iron on "synthetic" setting. But that actually deformed the plastic so it would mold better. I would not recommand this to other people, however, because the film ended up looking a little "melted" at the corner. I would think a hair dryer would accomplish the same thing.

9. grokphone macrumors newbie

10. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

You, sir, are a genius! :)

That worked phenomenally well.

11. pflau macrumors 6502

Also try asking a female you know for a straight cuticle cutter which is a very very tiny pair of scissors with very tiny points.

12. grokphone macrumors newbie

thanks...but let's hold off on my Mensa induction until we're sure it will stay fixed!