Cutting edge work - MS Vista Virus

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Poor MS. They can't even get the thing out the door before its compromised. :D Reminds of XP's activation scheme that was cracked before it hit the shelves.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
osx been out for 4+ years, no viruses. vista out EIGHT FREAKING DAYS!! and someone writes a virus for it :D lmao!!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
homerjward said:
osx been out for 4+ years, no viruses. vista out EIGHT FREAKING DAYS!! and someone writes a virus for it :D lmao!!
Hehehe... there goes that whole installed user base argument. :D There have gotta be more OS X users than Vista users, considering it isn't even out yet! :D :D :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Eeeep, I just actually read the article carefully. So the viruses are not based on ActiveX. That actually is kind of a shock. It seems that this guy kicked Windows in the Monads. :eek: :eek: :D

Speaking of which, is BASH considered a big source of security issues in the Unix world? I'm surprised... if these are really viruses and not Trojan Horses or something else.... But then again I know next to nothing about Monad, except that it has a funny name. And actually, apparently an interesting history.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
kgarner said:
Poor MS. They can't even get the thing out the door before its compromised. :D Reminds of XP's activation scheme that was cracked before it hit the shelves.
Well, this is the point of a beta, after all. If there is a Vista virus 8 days after the gold release....well then it will be something very worrisome.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
food for the fodder.

This is an article I will send to 3 family members thinking very hard and seriously about switching SOON.

I love the point made about installed base, they have virus problems now, with zero installed base!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so they exploit a command line tool in vista. isn't that something like terminal? and since terminal is safe and vista was built for safety isn't then something wrong here? obviously a commandline tool can be made safe but obviously not by M$.
does this point to the fact that this whole "built for security" thing is BS?

too many questions :confused:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
so they exploit a command line tool in vista. isn't that something like terminal? and since terminal is safe and vista was built for safety isn't then something wrong here? obviously a commandline tool can be made safe but obviously not by M$.
does this point to the fact that this whole "built for security" thing is BS?

too many questions :confused:

From reading a little bit on it, it seems that this now hacked code is developed for a dos alternative base system that may not even feature in the actual version launched. If it was the case, MS may as well just not bother releasing Vista. link

The problem was highlighted last year, which could explain the delays (MS may have just ditched the system and started afresh).

It's ridiculous though. Surely they must have some of the smartest programmers on the planet, yet they get whipped by one guy?!

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
AlBDamned said:
Surely they must have some of the smartest programmers on the planet, yet they get whipped by one guy?!
I'm not so sure they can be gifted the honor of "smartest programmers on the planet". They would have to write much cleaner code in order to be deemed that intelligent...

...for the rest of the problems, we'll blame MSFT's marketing department. They dont' seem to get what people really need. Ah well...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
homerjward said:
I'm just floored by this - but I imagine in the world of hackers being the first to make a virus would give you bragging rights for a while :rolleyes:

I think we're (Mac Users) also lucky that everyone loves to mess with MS, but again, 8 days is amazing and scary at the same time.

D

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
michaelrjohnson said:
I'm not so sure they can be gifted the honor of "smartest programmers on the planet". They would have to write much cleaner code in order to be deemed that intelligent...

What I mean is, Microsoft is one of the biggest corporations in the world with an obscene amount of money, global reach and a highly technical industry. They MUST have some of the brightest, smartest people available working on Vista. So why do they repeatedly have these problems?

The same goes for NASA I guess...

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
it's gonna suck when the first mac virus comes out for os x... we're all gonna get cynical and stupid and contradictory on these boards with conflicting views.. hopefullly that won't happen...

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
I'm curious as to why there aren't. I know mac os x is extremely secure, but, i think if they _really_ wanted to, surely hackers could figure out something.

Maybe they just really hate microsoft? and all use PowerBooks...hehe

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
MBHockey said:
I'm curious as to why there aren't. I know mac os x is extremely secure, but, i think if they _really_ wanted to, surely hackers could figure out something.
I'm positive they could do it if they wanted. But the point is to
1) break into new territory (i.e. "#1 Vista Virus") or
2) cause maximum damage

Most are option 2, which explains why there would be lack of viruses for Mac OS X. There just aren't enough of us to matter. (Security issues aside)

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I think what some people do not realize when everyone talks about market share, is that with an increase in this their would surely be an increase in viruses written for OSX, as it stands now if these hackers are doing it for bragging rights, they desire to inflict as many machines as possible. Is OSX that secure or is it that hackers just have not felt like wasting their time on us yet? I'm under the impression that OSX could be entered easily and it could become dangerous since this is something developers have not needed to really worry about. Anyone got any hard info on this topic?

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
michaelrjohnson said:
I'm positive they could do it if they wanted. But the point is to
1) break into new territory (i.e. "#1 Vista Virus") or
2) cause maximum damage

Most are option 2, which explains why there would be lack of viruses for Mac OS X. There just aren't enough of us to matter. (Security issues aside)
Yeah, but look at all the notoriety and press this guy is getting for this first Vista virus. There's gotta be someone else who wants the same thing by cracking Mac OS X. There has to be someone with that 'professional thief' mentality. We always cheer those guys in the movies for breaking into the best secured vaults, even though we know what they're doing is illegal. Who would you rather be known as, in the circle of professional thieves: the one that broke into 90% of the vaults in the world, even though they all had wide-open backdoors, or the one that broke into the best-secured vault ever built, the vault that everyone said was un-crackable?

iDM

macrumors 6502a
dejo said:
Yeah, but look at all the notoriety and press this guy is getting for this first Vista virus. There's gotta be someone else who wants the same thing by cracking Mac OS X. There has to be someone with that 'professional thief' mentality. We always cheer those guys in the movies for breaking into the best secured vaults, even though we know what they're doing is illegal. Who would you rather be known as, in the circle of professional thieves: the one that broke into 90% of the vaults in the world, even though they all had wide-open backdoors, or the one that broke into the best-secured vault ever built, the vault that everyone said was un-crackable?
I would be lieing if i said I knew the anwser or had any knowledge of this, but have people agreed that OSX is un-crackable? Has that been stated before? :confused: