Cutting Micro Sim Card for iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ksubi, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ksubi macrumors member

Quick question, is it considered as a good idea to cut your micro SIM into a nano SIM for the iPhone 5s?

I've heard that it actually damages the hardware of the phone and automatically voids the one year warranty if it does happen... Just being careful before I do something stupid.

Anyone had any experiences on this or any similar experiences?

2. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

I got my 5S today and decided to cut my micro sim down to size. Horrible idea lol. I highly recommend that you go to the ATT store and ask them for a new one. If you call ATT and tell them you got a new phone, they'll put a note on your account that qualifies you for a free sim card (if your store were to charge for one).

I cut the sim card down to size using scissors, but then it was too fat to fit in the tray so I had to shave it down using the scissors as a sharpening tool. Then it wouldn't fit at all and I realized that my micro sim was simply bigger than the nano sim entirely.

I wound up cutting part of the gold contact area and simply hoped for the best. I took the scrap of sim card that I had forged lol and put it into the sim tray, and it fit. Popped it in the phone and it worked perfectly.

But no LTE. I only got 4G service. I called ATT and they told me that most of their micro sims from before 2012 don't support LTE, and I would have had to get a new sim anyway.

Lesson learned: ask ATT for a new sim before smithing your current sim down to a flimsy gold disk.

3. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Well, I did cut down my earlier sim,actually i cut it down to a micro sim when iPhone 4 was launched, and then into a nano lol when 5 came out.

It's my Indian sim,I use it when I sometimes go back-works perfectly,but requires a lot of patience to cut it,because when doing micro->nano,I also had to reduce it's thickness.

4. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

just buy the proper tool on amazon. Bought mine for iP5 and cut several sims for me and family.... no problem!

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I ordered a Sim Cutter on eBay for $4.. Had it in 3 days.

Probably quicker to get a new sim from your carrier.
    I have Straight Talk, and they don't offer Nano Sims, so it was my only option.

6. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

No problemo

I have a 3G telco so LTE isn't a problem

iPhone 3G cut to microsim for my 4s then iphone 5 i cut it to nanosim then used sandpaper to reduce thinness. Works perfectly sans LTE (my network doesn't offer it). Now on my 5s!

7. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I purchased a SIM cutter off of Amazon.com, it works great, I've used it to cut down 4 SIM cards so far and they all work...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P16FKY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

8. jonesb930 macrumors newbie

jonesb930