Cutting .mpg and .ts video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gugucom, Jul 26, 2009.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I'm trying to cut TV material that I have recorded with EyeTV software. It appears that one can easily export clips from EyeTV in the .mpg format. I find that I have MPEG-2 720x576, 25 fps clips then. The problem is splicing these clips together. Because Quicktime did not recognize the format I bought an mpg extension for Quicktime from the Apple online store. It appears that I can now play those .mpg files with Quicktime. I have a 2008 Unibody MBP which came with iLive 2008. So now I tried to use iMovie and iMovieHD to import my .mpg clips and splice them together. In iMovie the .mpg files are not recognized. In iMovieHD I can select those clips but I cannot import them.

Can somebody help me by telling how to edit and splice the video?

If possible I do not want to buy many more Apple software at least not for hundreds of $$.

Is there a way to do this cost efficient?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

How about free? :)

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

You can edit without having to reencode, or you can export to any file format that Quicktime supports and more.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

MPEG Streamclip + Quicktime MPEG-2 component and you should be set for most.

4. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

THX people. I can also convert formats with it, which is nice. It appears that the MP is best suited to this work. It crunches nicely on all cores.

I wonder if I can speed up transcoding though. I see that the MP is not using all that lovely RAM that I'm giving it. Is there a way to make it use the RAM? I am transcoding to MP4 with 95% quality setting and 1080p. Is there a way that the MP uses the GPU? It seems to be all awefully slow for such a powerfull machine.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

You might experiment with Handbrake or VLC to perform your actual encoding... they both use the x264 library which is supposedly significantly faster than Apple's 264 encoding.

A workflow might be MPEG2->(mpegstreamclip)->AIC(Apple Intermediate Codec) ->(VLC) -> MP4

Another option, if speed is the most important thing for you is you can always buy the hardware Elgato Turbo H.264HD device. Pretty low cost IIRC with only one major caveat ( no multipass support... but this only effects file size, not quality )

Oh one other thing... why are you exporting this 1080p? I thought you said your video was Standard Def PAL. Don't upscale it. Let your TV or whatever device you're going to play this on do that.
    Depending on when in your workflow you upscaled, this could be a major contributor to how slow your encoding is.

6. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

THX! I clipped in MPEG Streamclip and eventually transcoded with handbrake without upscaling. Its fast because HB uses the cores to max and it is smooth now without sync errors. Again thanks for advise.