Cutting sims

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dread, Apr 7, 2012.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I just bought a device to cut sims to fit the iPhone and iPad. I noticed when practicing on some old international sims that I have that the contact surfaces vary in size in location. When I cut some of them with the machine the contact area gets partially cut. Will this make the sim not functional. Also does anyone know of a tray that will work to convert the sim back to regular size? I tried the ones that came with the device but they will not fit back it the phone because the tray is too thick with the sim in it. thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be fine even with cutting some of the metal in the old bigger chip size sim cards.
    About converting the microsim back to regural sim size you will need a microsim adapter.

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks I have the adapter but it doesn't fit. If anyone has had success with a specific adapter please provide a link.

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

For the most part they work fine even if you have to cut the metal slightly. There could always be the oddball that doesn't work though. Any sim made in the past couple years should be small enough for the point tonne moot anyway

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Believe it or not, you can even successfully trim them with a good pair of scissors (before the days of sim cutters being available)

6. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I figured for four dollars I'll just get the Sim cutter but now I can see that that may not be the best option for some some cards.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

It's so easy getting micro sims and moving tariffs and mobile numbers to them in the Uk I personally don't do this "cutting"

8. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know as I'm moving to London in two months. However I travel to Tanzania twice a year and they do not carry micro sims so I will have to cut them.