Cutting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nanogirl21, Feb 9, 2016.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Majority of the time I am using a mouse (HP/Dell - I know sorry!). I use these because I like the two button design and don't really like the trackpad at all. It is also easier for me to accomplish task, therefore, I get more done. With that said, is there an app that will allow me to CUT a document and PASTE it into another location with the use of a right click that is similar to windows? I know there is "move to trash" and "copy", but no actual cut and paste. I know there are apps to let you open two finder windows next to each other and drag and drop the files to where I would like them, but I am not looking for that. Thanks.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

To move documents in Finder:
    1. Select the document(s).
    2. Choose Copy ⌘C
    3. Bring the destination window to the front.
    4. Hold down the OPTION/ALT key
    5. Choose Paste ⌘V (in the Edit or contextual menu, observe its name change to "Move")

You can get the same effect using right-click and the Finder's contextual menu.

If you right-click first, you can press and release the OPTION/ALT key and watch the Paste item change name to Move.

3. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

As said in the original thread I would like to do this with the MOUSE.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

The menu items named "Copy", "Paste" or "Move" are there when you right-click with the mouse. I used the ⌘C and ⌘V symbols only for orientation.

The "Move" capability depends on your OS version. You didn't say what version you're using. If it's somewhat old (say Snow Leopard), then OPTION/ALT to Move doesn't exist. However, I just checked a Mountain Lion version I have here, and it works as I described.

If you meant ONLY with the mouse, then that's not possible for a stock version of Finder. You might be able to bind buttons of a multi-button mouse to the OPTION+Click action. Not sure without more details on your equipment.