Cuuuuuuuuuuube!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MultiFinder17, Feb 22, 2017.

1. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Just poking my head in to say that I finally obtained one of the computers that I've been wanting for years now, and for free no less!

The computer shop I used to work at takes in computers for recycling. When I visited today, I looked through their pile of recycle junk and found myself an almost-perfect Cube! A little more digging found the power supply, speakers with USB audio, and most of the documentation! I took it home, plugged it up to my 17" ASD, and it fired up without a hitch. Inside is a 450MHz G4, 832MB RAM, and an 80GB HDD with OS 9.2.2 and 10.4.11 on it.

I'm so jazzed about finally having a cube, and a fully-functional one no less!

IMG_6271.jpg
    IMG_6272.jpg
    IMG_6274.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    I've set it up headless in my office for the time being until I can find a permanent home for it :) IMG_6276.JPG

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I've never even seen this before! What year was it made?

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You've dropped in to our little corner of MacRumors for a little while now, so I have to ask…what's the fascination? :)

And when you do get a Mac will it be PowerPC or Intel?

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think the fascination is literally that I've used almost every OS out there except this. I've never once had an Apple computer. I have this hobby of trying out all different technology, this is on my bucket list.

I need to look into what the difference is between a PowerPC and Intel. I do know I like Intel, I've got an AMD in my current laptop and it's okay but not my favorite. The one it replaced was stolen and it had Intel. I still miss that laptop like crazy. The difference between them is the processor right?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. That and age. The last PowerPC Mac made was made in 2006. Our highest OS is Leopard 10.5.8 which was last updated in 2009. We cannot run Intel code and a lot of developers have abandoned us.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Thank you for this information. I'm still thinking I might go for a Mac Mini. 2012 seems hard to find but it is still able to be modified as things like RAM weren't soldered right?

Weird question, you can use any monitor, mouse and keyboard with the Mini right?

10. MultiFinder17 thread starter macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I was wrong, there was a single issue with the cube. The speakers that came with it were completely blown out, and the rubber ring was completely falling apart. Fortunately, I also nabbed an extra pair of plain pro speakers while I was at the shop. A quick solder job later, and the pro speakers are in the housing for the cube speakers and sound great!

IMG_3045.JPG

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm sorry. Can't really answer your questions about the Intel Mac. I'm still stuck in 2006. But as to any keyboard, mouse and monitor…well if the mouse and keyboard are USB yes. The monitor would need to be either VGA or DVI I would think. Don't know which interface the Mini uses.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017 ---
    I envy how you could just fix that with a 'quick solder job'!

I'm just not very good at it, which shames me as my dad was an electrical engineer in aerospace for 40 years! :(

I can appreciate the Mac though. Very nice looking!

12. MultiFinder17 thread starter macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The Mac mini is a solid first Mac, and the 2012 is a wonderful machine. I have one that I currently use as a home server, and it is a fantastic little computer. They also have a record as one of the most reliable Macs Apple has ever made.

And yes, you can use any monitor you like. The modern minis have HDMI and Mini DisplayPort out, so you can get an adapter for anything. Any USB keyboard or mouse would work just fine as well.

13. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I have recently started going to a local PC recycler where I live and every time I leave, I have spend only a couple dollars and got a LOT of good stuff. He recently had a couple iMac G4s (trashed) and an iMac G3 (no power, should have grabbed it anyways). Also an iMac G5. Still waiting for one in working and decent shape to come thru. Until then, he is a great source for CHEAP PC parts for small builds or projects. All the RAM I could want. Sadly, almost all HDDs get crushed.

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

That's a really good point! The reliability. I did read somewhere about it having a really low failure rate and the non-soldered varieties had ease of repair.

That's really great to know! I've got a lot of USB hardware that I'd like to not go to waste and I've got access to a decent monitor. You've been really helpful! Thanks!

15. MultiFinder17 thread starter macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Yeah, the older ones are fairly painless to work on. Glad we could help; it's what this forum is all about!

As a short aside, my gecko has decided to claim the top of the cube and loves basking around the heat vent :p
    IMG_3123.JPG

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Huge! The gecko that is. So awesome!

17. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Fascinating photo.
    Whilst he's 'sunbathing', be extra careful not to hit the eject key, as you may lop off his tail or even decapitate him with a possibly forgotten-about CD in the optical drive............!! (;-)

18. bobesch, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Great! (occasion, cube, soldering job, Gekko). Have fun! :)
    I'd go for a USB-soundcard and alternative speakers to prevent those nice HC-speakers from being blown-off.
    It's really sad that the speaker's rubber get's bad and is likely to rupture on loud volume.
    Take care - I've ruined my 1st gen. soundsticks by to much volume. :(
    Same happened with one of my iMac G3, when the VLC-equalizer freaked out...
    speakers.jpg