Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
London
Before I start uni, I plan on going around all the local shops/businesses looking for part time jobs. I'm going to take a bunch of CVs with me, and as I hadn't looked at mine since I was about 15 (I'm 19 now) I had to rewrite it all. I've got the whole work history/education bit, but I'm stuck on the profile.

I'm probably going to be applying to lots of places. Mainly retail (sports/clothing, tech and motor factors), but maybe bars/restaurants. Because of the different retail places, I'm going to have to get my experience with technology, photography, cars and sports in.

I'm really struggling on getting going, when I get started words normally pour, but it's the first sentence that I can't get.

Anyone got any examples of their profiles/CVs?

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
My advice is to apply direct to jobs which are advertised either at the shops in windows or in newspapers. Then you can tailor your application to the specific job.

L

Lau

I used to find it useful to do several versions, one for retail, one for bar work, one for office work, with the skills and experience tweaked a bit for each one, and then when I went trawling around, I could hand in the appropriate one. If you're applying for a particular job, you can tailor-make it even more.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
London
The thing is I'm only going to have one day to do this. I don't start at uni until next Sunday, and I can't make more than one trip from home. I'm probably going to write an all-round CV for most of the jobs. Obviously, if I ever see the Apple store in Regent Street hiring, then I'll be all over it like viruses on XP.

maclover145

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
My solution

I have the same issues with resumes as you indicated above, they are so hard to start. I've been in the workforce for a while now though, and after a few job switches i've found the best solution is to just outsource it. There are lots of different companies out there, some are expensive ( as a student i wouldn't recommend spending anything over 100 bucks) but you can find some decent afforable ones as well i'm sure. I used http://www.vision-analytics.com and it worked out very well, for only about $55 dollars with tax.

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
Agreed; it's usually the first bit that's really tough to get out there, especially if writing a profile.

If you're looking to apply to different jobs, I would certainly recommend to have a slightly different version for each job that highlights/emphasizes skills that are more suited to each job - if you have the time of course.

Otherwise, you can even take the skills you use to do one thing and apply it to another. For example, if I were applying to be a computer technician, I wouldn't stress on my CV that I'm really good at performing DNA polymerase chain reactions - but I can take the skills needed to execute them successfully (like being detail oriented, steady handed, extremely organized) and make a case that I could apply such skills to my new job.

As for a profile, what I personally do, is just start writing and not care about the details. I don't care if it's crap, I don't care how grammatically correct it is, I don't care how well it flows - I just get it out there to get it out there. Because once it's on paper/screen, you can go over it and edit/fix what you want, but you need something to get the process started. Rather than slowly lowering yourself into the cold water, just jump in headfirst and don't care about the mess you make in the beginning. :)

Good luck!

Walte

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Reading throught the posts, I have come to the conclusion that paying for people/organistions to do your CV/Resume for you is a kop out, no one knows you better than yourself so when writing your CV I beleive you should write it yourself.

You should however, seek advice and there are many resources available on the internet.

I used a combination of internet resources when creating my CV and have been successful in my applications and securing interviews.

http://www.free-resume-tips.com/resumetips/curriclm.html
http://www.cvsafe.com
http://www.resumesandcoverletters.com/

The above are just a few resources ive found but, by spending a little time, rather than throwing your money away, you could do it yourself with a little help.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I have the same issues with resumes as you indicated above, they are so hard to start. I've been in the workforce for a while now though, and after a few job switches i've found the best solution is to just outsource it. There are lots of different companies out there, some are expensive ( as a student i wouldn't recommend spending anything over 100 bucks) but you can find some decent afforable ones as well i'm sure. I used http://www.vision-analytics.com and it worked out very well, for only about $55 dollars with tax.

Nothing says "competent and ready for work" like someone who can't write their own resume...

Tandem

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Nothing says "competent and ready for work" like someone who can't write their own resume...

I don't think writing a resume is a necessary qualification for most positions. Certainly it has little to do with "being competent and ready for work." In fact, I think the ability to recognize your weaknesses and seek support is a much stronger qualifier – something I think many executives would agree with.

To that point, I strongly believe having your resume written (or simply reviewed) by a qualified professional is extremely valuable. I don't say this simply because I offer resume writing services but because my years in HR and recruiting have made it very clear that most people are not objective enough to present themselves in the most favorable way.

A good resume writer will not create a document that is their "conception" of you. Anyone worth the money will take an individualized approach; working with you to uncover talents, skills and competencies that you may not even be aware you posses. A professional resume writer will take the time to make certain the resume is an accurate depiction of you and also make certain that the final product is one to which you can speak.

K.R.
Tandem Resumes

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Hahaha I've jsut seen how old this thread is. Should Have looked before I posted an essay, there's 20 minutes of my life I'm never going to see again!

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
London
Wow, this was a while ago. I saw this on the front page and thought "when the hell did I write this?!". Things have changed a bit since then.

For anyone interested, I decided not to work while studying. It was a good decision considering the workload on an Engineering course.

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
This is an actual job application that a 17-year-old boy submitted at a McDonald's restaurant in Florida, who subsequently got hired.
NAME: Greg Bulmash
SEX: Not yet. Still waiting for the right person.
DESIRED POSITION: Company President or Vice President. But seriously, whatever's available. If I was in a position to be picky, I wouldn't be applying here in the firstplace.
DESIRED SALARY: $185,000 a year plus stock options and a Michael Ovitz style severance package. If that's not possible, make an offer and we can haggle.
EDUCATION: Yes.
LAST POSITION HELD: Target for middle management hostility.
SALARY: Less than I'm worth.
REASON FOR LEAVING: It sucked.
AVAILABLE TO WORK: Of course! That's what I'm applying.
PREFERRED HOURS: 1:30-3:30 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment.
MAY WE CONTACT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER?: If I had one, would I be here?
DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIFTING UP TO 50 LBS?: Of what?
DO YOU HAVE A CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do you have a car that runs?"
HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearninghouse Sweepstakes.
DO YOU SMOKE?: On the job, no; on my breaks, yes.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy dumb sexy blonde super model who thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. Actually, I'd like to be doing that now.
DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE?: Yes. Absolutely.
SIGN HERE: Aries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.