Cyanogenmod for S4

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Dr McKay, May 12, 2013.

1. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Installed CyanogenMod for my S4, my model finally got an unofficial ROM (i9505) so I thought I'd jump in and risk it. Installation was mostly trial and error because I'd never ever done anything this complicated as flashing a ROM before. Once I'd realized how to actually do the things they were asking me to do (All guides were telling me what to do, but not how to).

Originally Wi-Fi didn't work on my phone (Other users reported anything from working completely, No wifi, to not working at all). Some kind soul on XDA gave me a terminal command to try, and Wi-Fi popped up right away.

The only thing that currently doesn't work is NFC, but I've stopped using NFC so it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. Loving my S4 with all the UI lag completely gone. Sadly this ROM is unnofficial, unfinished and does not reclaim the space that Samsungs Touchwiz ROM originally took up, it's reserved by Samsung for updates, who knows though? A future CM update might clear that space out. It's nice to see my RAM usage sit around 500MB instead of 1.5/1.6GB.

One little "quirk" is it doesn't display your carrier, it displays a number which represents it, if you look at the screen of my lockscreen, its displaying the code for my carrier (EE).

Attached Files:

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Give it time. It'll get much better! I remember the days when there was a memory leak on the S3 and other problems like the camera sometimes getting stuck till a reboot.

Please keep us posted of how things go for you. I'm curious about battery life on CM compared to stock.

3. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Some people report better battery life, some worse. Peoples experiences are differing wildly. Apparently this ROM was taken from another phone and tweaked to be compatible. I personally haven't noticed much difference, but I only flashed it Saturday night. Today had been my first full day, got about 4 hours screen on time here, been using navigation, streaming online radio in the car over Bluetooth. I'm hitting 10% now.

Attached Files:

4. dkersten macrumors 6502a

A little off topic but that background looks awesome

5. Explicitic macrumors 6502

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Is the weather on the lock screen built into CM now? That's awesome.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I could be wrong, but that may be dash clock

8. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

It came with CM. its called "cLock". It does look pretty identical to dash clock though.

9. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Sorry to hear that, I'm only on my 2nd day of using it, but battery life still seems normal.

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Now since you're rooted go install lag fix and greenify and then you can come back and thank me later ;)

11. xchampx13 macrumors regular

What carrier version are you using? The one im on is still in Beta version, thinking about trying it out though

12. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I got it from EE in the UK. (I9505). This CM is an unofficial build. Someone apparently took another unofficial build for a different phone and tweaked it to work on this device.

13. xchampx13 macrumors regular

Yeah the build for Sprint is Unofficial as well, but says it is getting pretty good

14. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'm running it on my AT&T GSM S4. Works great, thus far.

No battery issues, but as mentioned in one of the posts above, it will continue to be updated and get better and better. That's what I really like about Cyanogenmod, it's popularity soars as it just keeps being refined.

Therefore it tends to be one of the best.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

EE: the only UK network to have worse data plans than the US :p

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It doesn't have as many custom features as the other AOSP ROMs but it's definitely one of the smoothes if not the smoothest IMO. That being said, I jump ROMs frequently :p

17. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Oh wow, just took a HDR photo, literally took a photo a second. 3 seconds to do it.

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

Precisely.

I truly enjoy all that one can do to customize their Android phone, just _exactly_ the way you like it. Never dull or boring...

I like switching between various ROM's / Apps / and all kinds of other Android goodness :D

19. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

How did you get past the locked bootloader?
    I can get root easily....but to my knowledge there isn't a recovery yet for the AT&T S4.

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

21. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

22. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Oh sorry. I'm not sure if it's possible but maybe he flashed it manually without using a custom recovery? I guess we'll have to wait for his reply.

23. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

no worries.... There is a thread on XDA that CM will work on the Canadian version on Rogers. But he said he got it running on the AT&T Galaxy S4....which i don't think is possible yet...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2275545

24. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Because the unofficial CM mods seemed to get buggier with every release I decided to try out AOKP. Seems more stable than the latest CM, but I still have to go into terminal every time I reboot to enable Wi-Fi. Which is still irritating.

Attached Files:

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Why don't you get ROM Toolbox or some other app that can run scripts? Just create a new one and type in those commands and set it to run on boot. It's very easy to do.

su
    rm /data/.cid.info