Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been tracking Apple product and accessory deals for Cyber Monday 2021 today, and now Woot is offering a solid discount on the previous generation 32GB Apple TV 4K. You can get this device in new condition for just $99.99 if you're an Amazon Prime member. Note that this sale will last for one day only.

2017-apple-tv.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The sale price is listed as $109.99, but Amazon Prime members who log into their account on Woot can take an additional $10 off, knocking the price down to $99.99. Although this is for the older 2017 model of the Apple TV 4K with the original Siri Remote, it's a great entry level price point for Apple's set-top box. This model was priced at $179 when it was the latest generation.

The biggest differences between the 2017 and 2021 Apple TV 4K lie in their internals, with the 2021 model getting an update with Apple's A12 Bionic chip vs the 2017's A10X Fusion chip. Still, the 2017's performance will be enough for most people, making Woot's offer today a great idea for holiday shoppers. If you want a deeper comparison between the two models, read our Buyer's Guide.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Cyber Monday: Original Apple TV 4K Drops to $99.99 for Amazon Prime Members

siddavis

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
The difference between the remotes is MUCH bigger and more UX-impacting than the difference between SoCs
Amen. They should've just killed the old remote when the new one was released and packaged it in all 3 variants. It would be so much better for devs knowing what the primary input would be going forward.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Amen. They should've just killed the old remote when the new one was released and packaged it in all 3 variants. It would be so much better for devs knowing what the primary input would be going forward.
It is. The previous version of the ATV 4K has been discontinued. Right now only the HD and the new 4K are for sale, both with the new remote.

This particular sale must be New Old Stock of the previous generation 4K, which is likely also why it's cheaper.

siddavis

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
I just updated all 3 of my ATV HDs to the latest 4K models and the navigation difference in smoothness is startling. I think it is silly that they are still selling the HD version, and I don't care that they are trying to hit price points.

I also find it hilarious that I sold those 6 year old little boxes for over half of what I paid originally.

On topic, I do not have experience with gen1 4K version, but it should be the entry level IMO.

siddavis

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
It is. The previous version of the ATV 4K has been discontinued. Right now only the HD and the new 4K are for sale, both with the new remote.

This particular sale must be New Old Stock of the previous generation 4K, which is likely also why it's cheaper.
Wow, thanks for the education. I just visited Apple's site and now understand. I have seen so many "deals" with the old remote and still see it in some stores that I just assumed the old remote was still offered from Apple new.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G3
Mar 19, 2008
Wait until you crack it without noticing and it slices your thumb open.

Can't speak for him, but I have all of ours (8 across entire family) in silicone cases.
Don't lose them, easy to grip, never cracked a single one in many many years of use now.

I'm actually shocked Apple never made a 1st party silicone case for the remote, especially with how much Tim loves gouging everyone on cases and dongles, etc

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
New Apple TV 4K can be purchased for $160. While the new model isn't dramatically improved, I think the premium is worth it for getting:
  • new remote
  • eARC audio over HomePods
  • fixes raised black issue on Dolby Vision
  • more responsive overall performance
  • support and expand the range of Thread smart home devices

Reactions: George Dawes

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
it looks good but I’ll be waiting for new version that comes out next year, hopefully one with gaming in mind to take Apple Arcade to next level. (Aka M1 chip on Apple TV)

Reactions: George Dawes

Keymaster

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
I’ve liked the swipe remote since I got it. That’s part of why I haven’t bought the new one…

You can swipe on the navigation pad on the new remote, I do that sometimes by accident when navigating the menus or use it when I'm trying to scroll through a movie. The new remote is a big improvement over the old one, I have never tried to use it upside down in the dark and navigating with the pad is far better.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
New Apple TV 4K can be purchased for $160. While the new model isn't dramatically improved, I think the premium is worth it for getting:
  • new remote
  • eARC audio over HomePods
  • fixes raised black issue on Dolby Vision
  • more responsive overall performance
  • support and expand the range of Thread smart home devices

Would you know what this earc feature over Homepod does? Sounds interesting!

B/D

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2016
Would you know what this earc feature over Homepod does? Sounds interesting!

It allows you to use the Homepods for all the tv audio (and connected devices), not just with the apple tv. You´ll also need a TV with an ARC/EARC HDMI port for it to work.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.