Cyber Monday - Time For new HDD's and SSD's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok so here's the issue. I'm in the process (ready to take advantage of Cyber Monday's deals) of buying new Hard Drives for my Mac Pro. I currently have a 640GB stock Apple HDD as a boot drive and a 150GB Hard Drive for raw iMovie HD video files.

I'm thinking of buying 2 Intel X-25M 80GB versions (one for OSX and the other for Win7 Bootcamp) along with two 2TB WD Caviar Green HDD. However, i just checked out newegg and saw the Velociraptors on special so I am questioning myself as whether I should get two of these instead of a Intel X-25M as an OSX boot drive. My question is the following... How can I arrange these hard drives to best suit my needs:

1.) Set either the SSD or Velociraptor Raid Array as my boot drive
    2.) Transfer files from my old HDD's
    3.) How can I fit iMovie from my old HDD onto my new SSD (if that is the case) since i have only 80GB of space on the SSD and I have over 250GB in raw video files in my event library.
    4.) How to set up the SSD and other two HDD's so that the SSD only launches the app but saves the file to the raid array of 2 X 2TB WD Caviar Greens.

I really would appreciate feedback on whether 2 Velociraptors would suit my needs better than the Intel X25M for OSX. As for windows I've already decided I want my drive to be an Intel X25M. Please post! Any advice is welcome.:D

2. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Any ideas guys ... I need to order tonight in order to take the advantage of cyber monday's deals.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I would hold out for the SSD's. Too bad we all missed the 80GB X25-M at Newegg on Friday for $214 shipped. :(

The VR's are hot, power hungry, noisy, and not nearly as fast at 4K random reads as the SSD's.

The WD Green 2TB drives at $140 are a steal (at least by my reckoning). :eek:

You will want to use the SSD's for just your apps/OS as you say and look into the OSX forum here on MacRumors for instructions on how to relocate your home folders to your larger storage drives. Alternatively, perhaps you can just change a preference in iMovie to point to your bigger drive(s)?

I run a pair of 80GB Intel SSD's for my OS/Apps and there's enough room for me to keep my raw footage for my active project on there as well. When the project is done, I archive everything onto a slower larger mechanical drive. This strategy may also work for you... SSD for your active project and larger drive for archiving projects. ???

4. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok I found a store in my hometown selling the SSD for 275$ + TAX. However, I still don't understand how I will be able to transfer 250+ GB of iMovie files onto the SSD though. Any thoughts?

5. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Any other thoughts? Also does anyone know when newegg's pricing on the WD 2TB drives will return to normal?