cyberduck and server problems 403 error

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by billaston, Mar 19, 2010.

1. billaston macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I am trying to upload a website which I have designed using iWeb. I am using a hosting service to publish and am using cyberduck as my ftp program. I have successfully loaded my site onto cyberduck but when I go to my domain name the page just displays
    Server Error
    403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
    You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.
    Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong.
    I suspect it may be due to my htdoc on the cyberduck not having my homepage as index but I have no idea how to change this.
    I am completely new to this and not massively computer literate so if you can keep answers in as plain english as possible it would be appreciated!
    Many thanks
    Bill

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb creates a index.html file for you that redirects to your created home page. Do a visual check to make sure it got uploaded.

3. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for getting back so promptly!
    Don't like sounding stupid but how do i do that!

4. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant see it on the files in cyberduck anywhere, there is an index.tiff and index.xml.gz in the cyberduck files

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You look in Cyberduck the same way you look in Finder. It would just be inside that htdocs folder. You may want to do a Publish to Folder from iWeb and make sure you have all the files, then upload everything it publishes.

6. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

Just published to local file and all seems to be in order! How do i now upload everything it has published?

7. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok>
    I have worked it out and now have an index.html showing in htdocs section of cyberducks. Went to webpage (www.theosteopath.co.je) and same message!
    I am trying I promise!!

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you either list or take a screen shot of your directory structure in Cyberduck?

Example:
    Code:
    htdocs/
    	folder/
    		file1.html
    	index.html

9. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

Think a screenshot of my cyberduck should be attached

Attached Files:

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, so the index.html is there, but it's going to be redirecting to your iWeb home page which is in one of the folders with the permission denied icon on them (the little red circle). I'm not exactly sure why the permissions are screwy for the folders. Within the Cyberduck preferences there's a section for setting the permissions as they get transferred to the server. I'm not at my Mac to give specifics though, but you may need to change something there so the permissions are set correctly on the server.

11. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

I have changed the permissions and this doesn't seem to have made any difference. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling cyberduck as well. Any other suggestions??!!

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Do you still have those red icons on the folders?

13. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Angelwatt,
    Yes same icons on all the files! I have changed all the permissions and tried with every variation. I can't work it out at all.
    I have managed to get it online but using filezilla now. Whilst cyberduck gets good reviews and I woul dhave liked to use it filezilla seems to do the job!
    If you want to keep trying to figure out why this is happening I am happy to keep trying your suggestions! If not thanks for all your help on this one.

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In Cyberduck you can turn on a permissions column for each file. The permissions for folders should be drwxr-xr-x (755) and files are generally set for -rw-r--r-- (644). You can see this page for more details.

15. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

The same problem happened to me. Its just that Cyberduck uploads with weird Permissions that don't allow the public (website viewers) from reading the file. I had to go to cPanel on my site's server to change the permissions after I uploaded them.

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Those weird permissions are actually taken from where the files came from, that's the default behavior for Cyberduck.

I'm actually at my Mac, so I can point to where the change in Cyberduck needs to be made for automatically changing the permissions on files and folders as they are uploaded.

Go to Preferences > Transfers > Permissions > then the Uploads at the bottom and check "Change Permissions" and use the lower radio button "to these permissions." For files check all the boxes for read, then only write for owner. For folders, the same and checks for all the execute boxes.

Attached Files:

17. billaston thread starter macrumors newbie