CyberPower 850 UPS enough for 2012 27" i7 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleInMyBlood, Apr 11, 2013.

1. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

Just want to make sure I don't need one of the higher capacity models. I want to keep the iMac running for a few minutes (enough time to shut down) if there's a power outage. This is the one I'm looking at:

CyberPower 850VA

Thanks in advance!

2. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

Per Apple, the 27" iMac uses 350 Watts maximum. Per CP that model supplies 510 watts, with a runtime of 2 minutes at full load and 10 minutes at 1/2 load. So it should be able to power your Mac ~3 minutes at full tilt.

3. AppleInMyBlood thread starter macrumors regular

Fantastic, thanks for the help!

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm using that very UPS, and it's more than enough for my 2012 high-end iMac with all the drives etc I have connected to it.

5. Bear macrumors G3

As others have said it's more than enough with a few things plugged in.

6. AppleInMyBlood thread starter macrumors regular

7. Mbzamg32 macrumors newbie

Im thinking about this UPS as well... from looking at the pics in amazon it has 10 outlets 5 that says (surge+battery) and 5 (surge). I have the 27 iMac, Caldigit 2tb AvPro, Apple Superdrive, Printer, VOIP phone and a subwoofer. Would the 850VA be enough for all this? Or should i just plug the iMac and ext. hdd to the surge+battery as those are probably the ones you want to safely turn off in case of a power outage and the rest on surge only?

8. AppleInMyBlood thread starter macrumors regular

Does anybody route their internet connection through their UPS? Are surges through Ethernet really a problem (using cable internet)?

9. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

That's what I would do. My VOIP phone has its own battery, so it didn't need to be plugged into the UPS.

10. Bear macrumors G3

Actually you plug the cable modem into the ups as well and route the cable wire through the ups if you can.

If the UPS doesn't have a connection for the cable wire, then route the ethernet through the ups from the cable modem. There is always a chance of a surge from a wire outside your abode to inside.

11. AppleInMyBlood thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!