Cyberpower UPS OSX native software

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jertronic, Jul 31, 2014.

1. jertronic macrumors member

Local construction will be causing power outages to my house for a significant length of time. I have been using a cyberpower 1000 and until today have not bothered to connect via USB. Now it's connected via USB to my late 2012 iMac and I was anticipating the need to install cyberpower software to enable the auto shut down process. Shutdown occurs at a set time once the power source switches to ups battery after a power outage.

I was impressed to discover OSX provides control settings for ups devices. No need for extra software.

With which version did OSX have native ups functionality. Definitely a convenient package contained within OSX.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think basic UPS functionality first came with the Server versions then client starting with 10.3 or 10.4.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

You've hit on a pet peeve of mine, namely how Apple handles actions once a UPS is in play.

Basically, all is OK if you're sitting there and can hit save in your docs and quit apps and so on when the power goes out.

But if you're working on critical files and you've wandered away for a bit, you are in for a rude surprise when you get back.

Why? Apple just shuts down the system (fastshutdown last time I looked). No saving of files, no nuthin. Sure, it saves the filesystem, but not the files you were working on.

With a little bit of thought, Apple could at least try to hibernate - this would save everything - windows, files, you name it. Or, even sleep mode would be nice; that would certainly drop power consumption to a very low level and increase the survivable time on the UPS to perhaps hours if not longer.

I'll take a look at what Yosemite does and perhaps write a script to change the behavior via pmset, or maybe I'll write a bug report.

I don't like how Apple (doesn't) handle this at all. They could do so so much better here.