Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scylax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Firstly, is there any way this is even possible? I know the specs say it is Windows only, but is there any way round that?

Secondly, if it is possible, is it comfortable? I love the idea of a mouse that is so customisable to each individual, and as a disabled person with, additionally, rather strangely proportioned hands, the idea appeals. But I have to say from the pictures it looks as if it would be painful to hold! Does it pinch your skin, or is it better than it looks?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! Any advice is very much appreciated.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
It took a bit of getting used to, but I absolutely love my RAT 7 and would not trade it for anything. It is easily the best mouse ive ever owned, and believe me I have had a lot of different ones from the Magic Mouse, to Razer and Logitech. As far is it working with a Mac is concerned I do not know, I can tell you though that the RAT 7 works just fine with my MBP, but as I am sure you know that is the wired version.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
i picked up a rat5 today, and i got it working great with os x... BUT there are no official drivers. you need to download a program called usboverdrive.

before installing that, and disabling button 9, 10 and 11 (its actually only one button, but its the 3 toggle states of the "mode" button beside left click) i couldnt even move the cursor.

but now everything is great! i've set the side wheel to volume up and down, and the sniper button to mute.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
still not answered...

the RAT 9 is the only wireless one of the 4. does anyone know if it works with mac? i understand the others do but on amazon it only specifies the RAT 5&7 specifically for PC.

dexternilsson

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
still not answered...

the RAT 9 is the only wireless one of the 4. does anyone know if it works with mac? i understand the others do but on amazon it only specifies the RAT 5&7 specifically for PC.

It does! Ive got a rat 9 and I have the full Mac software that u can download from the cyborggaming website for free. And it's just like the software that they use on the pc!

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
It does! Ive got a rat 9 and I have the full Mac software that u can download from the cyborggaming website for free. And it's just like the software that they use on the pc!

With the Razer Naga mouse being too small for my hands, I took a change on the RAT 7 and installed the drivers.

Yup - it's a FANTASTIC mouse. VERY customizable and it fits wonderfully in my hand. Better than the Logitech G9 (and why does Logitech not support OS X with their high-end mice, but do so with their keyboards? Logitech is my favorite HID company, but the lack of mouse support has been depressing. )

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
i have the RAT 7 as well, i didnt want to spend double the amount just for the wireless.

what annoys me is when im watching a movie the mouse constantly moves unless i turn down the dpi. so on vlc fullscreen you keep seeing the conrols. other than that its pretty bad ass

Jollocks

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
The R.A.T Is a really nice mouse, must be, seen as though professional gaming teams are using it. And as far as it working with mac, The basic functions will work i.e - Left Click, Right Click & Scroll wheel, However the other buttons and functions will not be functional. While Cyborg (I believe) doesn't offer any official support, nor drivers, you can use a couple of applications on the mac. Here it is;

http:/http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html - Works great, from what I've heard, theirs both, a free version and a paid, for more information visit the site by clicking the link.

Hope this works, Merry christmas & a happy new year.

hazzahex

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
The R.A.T Is a really nice mouse, must be, seen as though professional gaming teams are using it. And as far as it working with mac, The basic functions will work i.e - Left Click, Right Click & Scroll wheel, However the other buttons and functions will not be functional. While Cyborg (I believe) doesn't offer any official support, nor drivers, you can use a couple of applications on the mac. Here it is;

http:/http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html - Works great, from what I've heard, theirs both, a free version and a paid, for more information visit the site by clicking the link.

Hope this works, Merry christmas & a happy new year.

I have just bought a R.A.T 9 for my Macbook Air.

The mouse is stunning and ridiculously functional. I have downloaded the official software from the Cyborg website and it offers all the same settings as the windows software/driver.

http://cyborggaming.com/download.htm

To use any r.a.t mouse on a mac simply follow the link above, then on the right hand side of the screen, choose MacOSX and then hit download.

At the time of this post 1.1.14 was the latest software and offers full functionality of the thumb scroll, precision aim button, back and forward buttons as well as the muddle button. The adjust dpi rocker works and can be fine tuned in the software as well as the mode button!

Hope this was helpful

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I have just bought a R.A.T 9 for my Macbook Air.

The mouse is stunning and ridiculously functional. I have downloaded the official software from the Cyborg website and it offers all the same settings as the windows software/driver.

http://cyborggaming.com/download.htm

To use any r.a.t mouse on a mac simply follow the link above, then on the right hand side of the screen, choose MacOSX and then hit download.

At the time of this post 1.1.14 was the latest software and offers full functionality of the thumb scroll, precision aim button, back and forward buttons as well as the muddle button. The adjust dpi rocker works and can be fine tuned in the software as well as the mode button!

Hope this was helpful

I can't make it work with saved settings...what gives?

pjack29

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
Hey, anyone having problems with RAT 7? On the OSX, there is a lag with the mouse, however with boot camp to Vista, there is no lag at all.

I could draw circles really quick, stop, and the mouse would still lag one circle.. haha. That's bad man.

Any help on this?

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Hey, anyone having problems with RAT 7? On the OSX, there is a lag with the mouse, however with boot camp to Vista, there is no lag at all.

I could draw circles really quick, stop, and the mouse would still lag one circle.. haha. That's bad man.

Any help on this?

yea i have those problems. sometimes the mouse wont go horizontal and i have to pick it up and move it. plus, even on the lowest dpi (all the way down) when i watch a movie on vlc the mouse constantly moves tiny bits and brings up the fullscreen controller interface. constantly, so much i just disabled the option to bring it up. i also noticed it in my screensaver bring up the login window.

does anyone have the white rat 9 specific for mac? and have any problems

disodbediente

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012

Any help on this?

ARGH. Same trouble.
RAT7, Lion 10.7.3, Macbook Pro 17

The mouse is crazy good but about this ...I'm very disappointed.

disodbediente

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012

Any help on this?

Solution found!
I spent some time on it... it was a drivers conflict.
About me the problem was "KeyRemap" software. I use it to remap not supported keyboards, very useful. I'm not anymore using a not supported keyboard, but the extension was still there.

If you have it… this is the problem.
Removing from the library the pref pane it's not enough.
Find this folder: /Library/org.pqrs and delete it.

That's it. Now you can enjoy 100% the RAT Mouse :)

I'll write to RAT support about this, but in the meantime we have to find another remap tool.

Cheers
Al

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I just picked up a Rat 7 and don't seem to have any problems. I'm on the 1.1.28 software. The only issue I did have was the software itself. For some odd reason my profiles got messed up. Every reboot, I'd get some weird numbers for my mouse settings. After deleting everything from the app support folder and reinstalling, it seems to be working fine. I tried waving the mouse around to see if any lag occurred, but seems to work fine.

Just curious is the Rat 7 version people are using the one with 5400 dpi? I'm on the new 6400 dpi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.