Cycle Battery - or NOT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blueinternet42, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Blueinternet42 macrumors newbie

Hi

Probably more general than just MBP - but I am interested in habits?

I use MBP as my only machine - and as a desktop replacement. I have no desktop.

Anyway - do people who use their MBP like this cycle their battery (to simulate portable use) - or do you leave it on charge permanently......

Any thoughts welcomed form folks that know about batteries etc.... :)

TIA

Phil

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, it is good to cycle the battery once a month (or so). If you don't, the life of your battery could be reduced.

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I cycle my battery on any device 2 times when I first get them, and then every month or so after that.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I use two rMBPs as desktop replacements, I travel a fair amount. I almost always - >99% of the time - am on AC, always behind a quality UPS or surge suppressor. We have quite a few more in my company, and those are the rules for working for my small company's PC equipment.

My older rMBP is a mid-level mid-2012 15" unit, bought new from MacMall at a killer price - it has 3 battery cycles on it. My new rMBP is a top-end late-2013 unit, bought as a refurb from the Apple Store - it has 5 battery cycles on it.

Apple has built in calibration into its batteries. Apple offers no advice on power cycling its laptops. I don't power cycle my rMBP batteries - they're all shown as "Normal" condition, and I don't see a need to power cycle my rMBP batteries. We have had not one problem with any of our newer laptops, ever.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is the correct answer!
    :apple: used to advise to drain the battery completely every 30 days, but recently removed that advise.