Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pieuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
how many cycles do you guys have on your air?

I've done 40 and its only about a month old if that !

i always charge my battery to full, then remove the power and drain it right down to 0 or until it turns off.

on my previous machine i used to leave the power cord in a lot since i wasn't up and about with the laptop, however this impaired the batteries health and so i am giving this battery the full work out all the time.

only thing is, its racking up those cycles, or is that a non issue and the health is more the concern for the battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
how many cycles do you guys have on your air?

I've done 40 and its only about a month old if that !

i always charge my battery to full, then remove the power and drain it right down to 0 or until it turns off.
That's not necessary, and is not the recommended way to prolong battery life. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

pieuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
That's not necessary, and is not the recommended way to prolong battery life. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

what is the way to prolonged battery life then?

trust me when i had my old macbook pro and i bought a new battery, because i didn't run it in i.e full charge, full discharge etc, the health eventually got to 87% very quickly..

according to apple you should cycle the battery once a month, so i guess i don't need to constantly cycle it then, esp as its well run in now would you say

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have done 59 cycles in 10 months. My battery is at 94% capacity.

ScreenShot2012-01-04at000344.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
what is the way to prolonged battery life then?
Did you read the link I posted? All your battery questions are answered there, if you just take the time to read it. You don't have to "run in" a battery, and nowhere does Apple recommend such. There are too many "old wives tales" floating around the internet about battery care. Don't pay attention to them. The most reliable and accurate information is in the Battery FAQ, directly from Apple.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Did you read the link I posted? All your battery questions are answered there, if you just take the time to read it. You don't have to "run in" a battery, and nowhere does Apple recommend such. There are too many "old wives tales" floating around the internet about battery care. Don't pay attention to them. The most reliable and accurate information is in the Battery FAQ, directly from Apple.

You can lead a horse to the water...

pieuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
thanks guys, sox gg i missed that link lol, just read through it, very good!

yeah on apple website i read about cycling the battery at least once a month to keep it in tip top condition. might have been for the iPhone but i still think it would apply as its a lithium battery still.

cheers seb, i shall start leaving my ac plugged in more now unless i actually go somewhere with it

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
yeah on apple website i read about cycling the battery at least once a month to keep it in tip top condition. might have been for the iPhone but i still think it would apply as its a lithium battery still.
That means put at least one cycle per month on it (although more is recommended). It doesn't mean that cycle has to be done all at once. Draining 25% and recharging 4 times does the same thing, as does draining it halfway and recharging twice.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
thanks guys, sox gg i missed that link lol, just read through it, very good!

cheers seb, i shall start leaving my ac plugged in more now unless i actually go somewhere with it

No worries. The real main point is this: don't stres about it. When I am at home near a plug, I plug it in. If I am not, then I don't. This is actually the second time since I've owned the machine that I actually checked my battery via coconutBattery.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Such language! I'm gonna have to wash your mouth out with tequila! :D

Or good old Becherovka. Tequila is not my style anymore, as I had to much in my youth some months ago. But Gin and Becherovka will be next I guess. And since all *********** gets censored anyway, I just cuss awayyyyyyy.

The other board I go to frequently is more of a place to read for me, not to post. It's too personal and ****.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Are you talking about coconutBattery? If so, you need to install it.

iStat Pro is my preference, as coconutBattery has been known to have issues with accuracy.

Oh Got it. I thought it was programmed into OSX. And I couldn't locate where the number of cycles would be recorded. I searched everywhere. Now, I'm assuming, CoconutBattery will only record number of cycles after it's been installed from this point on, w/o any knowledge of prior cycle information, since I've had the MBA for over 2 mos.?

EDIT:
Amazing, it knows how many cycles (22 cycles) I've charged, even though, I just installed this app.
Odd, my MBA is 121 months old. I just got this Nov. 2011, Brand New, Unopened at Best Buy. How could this be?
Screen Shot 2012-01-04 at 2.53.13 PM.png

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh Got it. I thought it was programmed into OSX. And I couldn't locate where the number of cycles would be recorded. I searched everywhere. Now, I'm assuming, CoconutBattery will only record number of cycles after it's been installed from this point on, w/o any knowledge of prior cycle information, since I've had the MBA for over 2 mos.?
Not true. The cycle count is stored by your Mac and is viewable in System Profiler under the Power section. The same goes for your battery health, charge level and age of your Mac. coconutBattery or iStat Pro only makes it easier to see that info.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
No worries. The real main point is this: don't stres about it. When I am at home near a plug, I plug it in. If I am not, then I don't. This is actually the second time since I've owned the machine that I actually checked my battery via coconutBattery.

even when you are at 100% you just leave the plug in until it you move the laptop?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
even when you are at 100% you just leave the plug in until it you move the laptop?
Leaving it plugged in while fully charged doesn't hurt it at all. It will not overcharge and will run on AC power when plugged in, rather than draining the battery. That way your battery is fully charged when you need it, when AC power isn't available. Read the Battery FAQ in post #2 of this thread.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Yeah, I did read it, I just wasn't sure what to make of it because I always had my Vaio plugged in and now the battery lasts about 20 mins.
Now I see you guys are saying that it actually takes no power from the battery when it is plugged in, instead the power comes straight form the cable. I am going to leave mine plugged in all the time now when at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.