Cycling App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by OhYeahWatchMe, Nov 18, 2016.

1. OhYeahWatchMe macrumors newbie

I've been using Map My Ride on my iPhone for mountain biking. Now I have a Nike+ AW (btw, loving it!). I'd appreciate advice from cyclists. Is this app available for AW? What's the best way to track cycling via the Apple Watch? Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. chemistry76 macrumors member

Strava is THE app and ecosystem for cyclists. However, until Strava updates their watch app, you will still have to carry your phone with you when you ride for GPS. Even after, you will still want to carry your phone with you for barometric elevation data.

Eventually, you will want a dedicated Garmin device and wheel sensor for cycling - the phone battery will not last long enough, and GPS in the woods will short you on distance and average speed.

(Cat 2 MTB, Cat 4 Road, Cat 3 CX)

3. OhYeahWatchMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info. As you no doubt know, AW's built in activity app has an "outdoor cycling" option. I just recently purchased my wife and haven't yet used this app (I rode today and just used the MapMyRide app on my phone). What does this AW activity app provide? Guessing it's not terrific, thus all the interest in 3rd party apps.

4. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I've also been using Map my Ride for several years and I'm really surprised they don't have a watch app. It's going to force me to find a good alternative.