General Cydia backgrounding

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Is it dangerous to use Backgrounder or some other way to make Cydia background? I've seen many threads (both here and on other forums) about people doing this. Should I do it or not?

Device- iPod touch 3G
Firmware- 5.1.1

Last edited:

pod5g

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2013
Why do you want to background Cydia? Just curious.
More than one reason. Sometimes I click on an ad by mistake. Opening Cydia again takes ages. Sometimes I press the home button by mistake. Have to open Cydia again, which is a chore.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Don't use Backgrounder. Use the native iOS multitasking which for some reason isn't enabled by default for Cydia:
1) Use iFile or whatever to go to /var/stash/Applications/Cydia.app/
2) Edit Info.plist
3) Change the flag UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend to false and save
4) Close Cydia from the multitasking bar
5) Enjoy!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Don't use Backgrounder. Use the native iOS multitasking which for some reason isn't enabled by default for Cydia:
1) Use iFile or whatever to go to /var/stash/Applications/Cydia.app/
2) Edit Info.plist
3) Change the flag UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend to false and save
4) Close Cydia from the multitasking bar
5) Enjoy!
There's a reason why it's disabled by default. If you looked inside the info.plist, you would see...

<!-- to ye who is reading this, I know what you are thinking: "saurik is an idiot, why did he turn this off?" -->
<!-- the problem is that Cydia runs as root, and therefore cannot be sent a SIGSTOP by SpringBoard, as mobile -->
<!-- what that means, is that when Cydia "multitasks" it will just keep running in the background, constantly -->
<!-- and that means that all of those stupid webpages (and all of their horribly irritatingly slow ads!) will -->
<!-- just keep running and animating and reloading in the background, burning your battery life and cpu speed -->
<!-- even when you aren't "using" the app anymore. so, no: it is not at all a good idea to turn this back on. -->
<!-- the idea is that, eventually, Cydia will no longer need to run as root; and, when that happens, not just -->
<!-- this, but a ton of other little things (mail composition, keyboard behaviors, mobilesubstrate, etc.) all -->
<!-- will get fixed at the same time, and one of those wonderous new features will be "working multitasking". -->