Cydia - Can it replace installer?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bbplayer5, Apr 4, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I am getting really tired of the permission errors and script errors with installer.app. I am tired of running commands in terminal to fix them. Can this program be used to replace installer?

Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I had to install Cydia, because I could not get BSD subsystem to install, but after that, since all the repositories were in Installer, I just kept using that. I guess I could have started installing everything in Cydia instead. The nuisance is that they don't seem to be aware, as far as I can tell, of each other's actions. Unlike, say, apt-get and synaptic in Linux. FWIW once I got Cydia and it's dummy package for the "Fake BSD Subsystem" on board, I've never really had any problems with things I install from installer.app...

3. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Personally, I dont know why the developer of Cydia wouldnt just go to Nullriver and join with them to put the features into Installer. I use Installer only because that is where the sources are and I dont feel like dealing with the compatibility stuff between the 2...

4. laz305 macrumors regular

it will for me if it can get SMB to work on my 1.1.4 :(

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My impression is that Nullriver is really not active in fixing the issues with Installer, and of course, Installer is closed-source. I don't know how big an impact it would be, but Cydia got where it did so quickly because it's based on the extensively developed APT system, and is therefore subject to GPL. I'm not sure how well Nullriver would like complying with GPL as it would affect the inclusion of Cydia into Installer....

6. ajl917 macrumors 6502

Well I hope this is a wakeup call for Nullriver not to make Installer open source but to make the search or the letters to scroll faster on the right; just an overall upgrade...

7. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Agree. One big thing installer has going for it is its name. You know what it does when you see its name. Cydia? Not so much. I just wish installer was under active development.