cydia constantly crashing with iPad 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by gnychis, Nov 24, 2010.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

has anyone else found cydia constantly crashing after upgrading to 4.2.1 and then jailbreaking? I get constant crashes trying to install things.

2. garretruh macrumors member

Cydia has not yet been updated to work with iOS 4.2.

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

4. garretruh macrumors member

As of yesterday evening (8 pm), Apple was still signing 3.1 installs/restores, so it might not be too late to downgrade. If it is too late, it shouldn't be long before Cydia is released and all of the jailbreak apps are updated.

5. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

i did not see any warnings of this anywhere, thanks

6. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just checking...but you have booted into a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w correct?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The first time the iPad reboots after jailbreaking with redsn0w, it's actually rebooting into a non-jailbroken state. You need to rerun redsn0w, uncheck "install Cydia" and check "tethered boot only," then follow through the process with redsn0w. Once it reboots with the pineapple logo, Cydia should work.

8. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

yep i did, thanks for checking

I patched cydia with the following guide and I at least got the majority of things (including cydia) working again:
    http://www.myappleware.com/iphone-j...k-ipad-4-2-1-ios-with-pwnagetool-bundles.html

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

10. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting... Did you do a fresh install of 4.2.1 or an upgrade? I am using the newest of redsn0w as linked from the dev team

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Both actually. And it worked the same both times. Redsnow should give you an option that says "install cydia" and then it jailbreaks it. I'm not sure where you got instructions to patch anything, once it's jail broken you have to use redsnow again to restart tethered and it should work just fine. What instructions are you going off of?

12. jgunn macrumors regular

yeah no problems here. After you redsnow it, run it again and select tether reboot. Cydia is working fine.

13. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm I did this. Try to load the "changes" section in cydia. Does it crash?

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Do you ever actually give advice or do you pride yourself on being useless? You said the same thing in my thread and were also downright rude about it. Get the stick out of your ass.

15. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

No actually I pointed out you were smug to another member, telling him basically he was wrong, when he was right on the money. Sorry you don't like being confronted, but as the poster replied, you obviously don't know what your talking about, that still applies because you know what?

Your entire thread was a total contradiction and a waste of time.

Starting off you state a successful JB how everything is working terrifically, which leads readers to think, oh, well, maybe there is a new JB out for us to try....BUT, and lo and behold a few lines down we see the real contradiction.
    Houston, I think we have a problem.

People really hate having to sift through BS threads like yours.

16. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Interesting. I tried and mine seems to work fine. I set up as new iPad when I installed 4.2.1 and then ran redsn0w 0.9.6b4 and clicked the "Install Cydia" check box. Then restarted my iPad into a tethered boot.

If you haven't, restore and setup as new.

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

cydia is working fine for me on 4.2.1. as long as your booted in a jailbroken state.

18. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

Weird, that is exactly what I did. Installed Cydia, then booted into a tethered boot.

Were you asked by Cydia to do an upgrade after you launched it? It asked me, and I did a complete upgrade and it seemed to give me an iPad compatible version that supported rotate and non-full screen installation process. But it would crash when I tried to search for things, load Changes, or anything like that.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hmm. Not sure what went wrong with your jailbreak but at this point it looks like your only option is to restore and try again.

20. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Agreed. Something might have gotten corrupted in the jb. Restore, set up as new iPad, re JB and report back.

21. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Do you need to tether when you respring, or just when you reboot?

22. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You only need to tether when you reboot. It is not necessary when you respring thankfully, that really would have made it a pain. I'm just happy to have my SBSettings and Browser Changer back. :)