Cydia Crashing in 3.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Enigmafan420, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Forgive me if this is a topic-I search, including google, and didn't find anything...

I JB the other day and downloaded all my apps I was using before. I noticed that most seemed to work okay, but Cydia seemed to crash a LOT.

Well then yesterday ultrasn0w came out and I installed it fine.

Today this morning, I loaded Cydia to see if any new updates existed. Everything still fine.

This evening-Cydia will not load. It starts and runs for about 5-10 seconds then crashes to the SB.

I tried using redsn0w again to reinstall Cydia. Still doesn't work.

Anyone else having issues?

Is there a way to delete Cydia (using Open SSH) and then reinstall Cydia? Thinking I am really gonna need Cydia and really do NOT want to restore 3.0 and re-jail break (takes friggin forever).

2. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Read that thread-it is how I decided to re-run redsn0w.

Unfortunately, the errors described there are NOT the errors I am having. Those people could not install the 2 critical upgrades to Cydia. I got those 2 days ago.

This problem appears totally different than that problem. Cydia never even fully loads to let me search, or check for updates, or whatever. Crashes before the title screen even appears.

PS-Ultrasn0w working great-Thanks to all who deserve it.

3. moebiwan macrumors newbie

This JUST happened to me. JB perfect and after installing either AdBlock or 5 column Cydia refuses to load up. I have found no other way to fix this so I'm stuck restoring it again. Good luck finding a solution because restoring is such a PITA!

4. vertigo78 macrumors regular

cydia has become extremely unreliable recently even before the 3.0 update. i find its best to not touch anything until it downloads all the new packages and reloads all its data. even then its still crashes all the time. download icy. its a cydia replacement. that is if you can run cydia long enough to install anything.

5. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I actually was able to install Icy by using redsn0w again. This allows you to install without restoring the firmware, thus all applications are intact.

However, I don't really know anything about Icy, does it allow access to the same applications and repositories as Cydia?

I still would like to get Cydia working, as it is the program I know best.

6. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Update

So installed Icy using redsn0w and now one of my official Apple apps (textfree) won't run either.

Unfortunately it looks like I am heading to a restore and a new JB. This really sucks, it takes FOREVER. And then having to re download all my Cydia apps.

This is clearly not going as well as the 2.XX upgrades did, at least on the JB side.

Anybody have any ideas other than a full restore? I tried to delete Icy but can't since it was installed during the JB and not after.

7. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Additional Update

So I just gave up and reinstalled 3.0

This time I used the custom IPSW instead of redsn0w and while I know it probably isn't true, the phone seems MUCH MORE STABLE when restoring the Custom IPSW.

I probably feel this way because it was SO BAD before I restored. There really shouldn't be any difference in the two methods, should there?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There shouldnt be any difference at all.
    It just didnt go thru the first time, it happened to many.

9. Brock Samson macrumors newbie

@Enigmafan420
    Try entering terminal on your phone or SSH to your phone using winscp or putty. Type the following in the command prompt.

su root

alpine

apt-get remove cydia

Yes, do as I say!

apt-get install cydia

If this does not work, you most likely interrupted a package install from cydia. But since you cannot get back into cydia to reinstall the package, your best bet is a fresh restore and jailbreak.

I've had the same problem before with fw 3.0. I've found the best recourse is that while DLing from cydia, DO NOT change the root password of the iphone (keep it as alpine), and take off any automatic time-sensitive interrupts (like passcode autolock, custom video-ringers, background videos/effects, etc...)

Everytime I've interrupted Cydia... everything goes pop.

10. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Thanks-I did end up restoring which I hate because it takes forever.

I will keep that in mind. I love the work Saurik does with Cydia, but it seems progressively slower with each update, and I sort of think I probably did interrupt an update at some point.

11. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

Cydia crashes, won't even load a second. It's been happening today out of nowhere. I jb right when redsnow was released and no problems till now. Hmm?

12. onionman macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. When I attempt to remove cydia via apt-get it also says "Command Not Found", When I attempt to enter the command via ssh. Any ideas? Do I have to do it from a mobile terminal?

13. foob macrumors 6502

foob

apt-get is no longer installed by default. You have to install something, but I forget what it's called. Maybe "aptitude"?

I started having the same problem with Cydia today when it crashed during a 3 package upgrade. Cydia would open for a couple of seconds and crash.

I figured it was related to the failed upgrades so I tried to use mobile terminal and dpkg to uninstall the things I had been trying to upgrade. That gave me an error which pointed to corrupt files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates/. I deleted all the numbered files (0000, 0001, 0002 etc) and now everything works again.

14. mrJnC macrumors regular

Thanks foob. I had similar problems with Cydia crashing 3.0 after installing AdBlock v3.0.1. Trashing the numbered files and tmp.i seemed to fix the crash state with Cydia.

Incidently, I didn't have SSH installed. I used DiskAid (http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/ free 14 day trial) to navigate to and delete the offending files. I have no association with DiskAid.

15. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

yep, cydia crashes a lot. it's really unstable.

16. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I am interested in DiskAid, I think. Is this the program that actually lets you "mount" the phone/touch as if it were another drive?

17. mrJnC macrumors regular

Yes. If the phone is jailbroken, you can copy, paste, delete files in the root partition as well.

18. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

iphonebrowser will do the same sort of thing. it may be useful to know that it will run in a virtualbox VM.

diskaid looks like a pretty typical fly-by-night shareware crap vendor. they'll probably be around for a few more years but i wouldn't reward them for it with actual money.

19. Cupra macrumors regular

Foob your a legend you just cured my cydia problems :)

20. Beej11 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Foob... you saved me a lot of time too.

21. edrian macrumors newbie

My Cydia works again!

Thanks to Foob's method, I SSH & connect to my iPhone and deleted those 001 files and my Cydia works again!

22. Astin macrumors regular

Myyyyyyyyy heeeeerrrroooooo <3

23. chzaib macrumors newbie

It Worked for me too, i am on 4.3.3

24. tehreflex macrumors 6502

Way to resurrect a 2 year old thread.