Cydia: Error Refreshing Data

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tom8, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

When i first went into Cydia after 4.2.1 Gp untethered. There was only around 30 sources, i restarted by device and then the all Cydia packages were available.

Went to download Backgrounder so i could get multifl0w, my download was stuck and made no progress, so i left cydia and then came back.

It gave me a pop up box saying Error: Refreshing Data

and then it says 'Failed to fetch' and a bunch of web addresses.

Anyone know what this is about?

Is it just because of Cydia's server being a bit unresponsive, or has something gone wrong during my jailbreak.

2. bella92108 macrumors 68000

It's because everything is slow or non-responsive right now due to the demand. Really puts into perspective how many people jailbreak, and how Apple could be the one profiting from all these tweaks instead of the mom n pop devs out there... but I guess Apple's high horse has a nice view of the ocean :)

3. dilgit macrumors regular

Cydia is almost dead!!?? Not responding, not downloading, errors all over, slooooooowwwwwwwww, etc etc. I'm unable to download most of the apps I used, including those I've paid for. SAURIK!!! Do something or give me back my money!!

4. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info.

I'm just gonna unjailbreak and sit it out until Cydia is running properly.

Also i totally agree with you. Obviously certain things Apple can't allow for legal reasons (im guessing) like the emulators etc. But things like SBsettings and a good notification system! C'mon Apple!

5. bella92108 macrumors 68000

HAHA, that was a funny comment.

Why don't you just install SSH and then download the DEBs and install them directly to the phone. Contrary to popular belief, most items can be installed without using Cydia :)

You don't get your money back because you decided to upgrade. If you buy a car and have to wait in line for an oil change you can't make the car company buy back their car because you don't want to wait, haha. Bad analogy, but I laughed, and isn't that what really matters? ;-)

Just be patient, it'll get better. If you legitimately purchased the apps, just install the cracked versions from a hack source. ***NOTE, I KNOW DISCUSSING PIRACY ON HERE IS NOT TOLERATED, BUT LIKE I SAID IF IF IF IF YOU BOUGHT AND PAID FOR THEM, INSTALLING A CRACKED VERSION IS *NOT* PIRACY, SINCE YOU ALREADY BOUGHT AND PAID FOR THE INTELLECTUAL RIGHTS. **** Just a suggestion.

Why would you unjailbreak? If you're jailbroken and haven't installed anything, you basically have the same features as a non-jailbroken phone. No sense in uninstalling it, just get up at 2 am tonight and download your stuff when server load is low. ;-)

6. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got multifl0w and it wasn't working properly, not letting me close apps.
    And when i went into Cydia to remove it, the package wouldn't initialise, so i couldn't remove it.

I know it's a dumb reason, but i want my phone to be firing on all cylinders.

Plus i get nervous knowing I'm jailbroken and Cydia isn't running properly, makes me think it's software, not server :(

7. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Strange... might have been half-installed, so you may want to go in via SSH and remove the parts of the app, and re-install. I'm not familiar with multiflow, so I can't comment on where\how to go about removing, but that'd be a place to start. Seems since there hasn't been a 4.2.1 untethered JB some of the devs haven't updated their apps to fully work with it, do you know someone with multiflow working?

8. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, a friend of mine has it working on his iPod Touch 4G 4.2.1.

I'm not that bothered, i'm happy to sit it out a couple days while i wait for the server to recover.

All sorts of weird stuff was happening when i was trying to install stuff. The progress bar wasn't moving, then it said the app was installed, sometimes it was just erroring out, but the app was installed.

it was also playing up when i was trying to add new sources.

At least i can sleep safe in the knowledge that it's the server not my Phone. :D

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Almost comical. Almost.

10. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I have an original iPod... the battery lasts about 5 minutes then it dies. Apple: I know it's 10 years old, but make the battery last 10 hours or give me my money back.

hehehehe

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hey Apple. I took a perfectly working iPhone(s) (3G, 3GS and iPhone4) and applied code modifications/arbitrary code to it (JB it) then used an exploit in the baseband commands to unlock it. After that I applied 75 hacks/modifications to it.

It sometimes doesn't work perfectly, sometimes it crashes the springboard when I add or update another hack.

Can I get a refund ?

12. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey Apple, i have an Apple Lisa, I'm disappointed by your lack of support for the system, i haven't received a software update in decades.

When can i expect my free upgrade to an iMac?

13. bella92108 macrumors 68000

You have a lisa? Maybe she needs a plastic surgeon, not Apple's support. ;-)