Cydia for iPad Landscape Formatting Issue

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TwoSocEmBoppers, Dec 6, 2010.

1. TwoSocEmBoppers, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

Hey Guys...I've been jailbroken on 4.2.1 for a week or more now and ever since I jb'ed Cydia has not worked properly in landscape mode. I have tried deleting and reinstalling Cydia to no avail. After that did not work, I restored as new and re jb'ed just to get the same formatting issue.

Take a look at the screenshot to see what I mean.

Has anyone else experienced this or has suggestions on how to fix?

UPDATE: Well Cydia was updated the on the night of the 10th, and at least for me, the home page of Cydia is now even more messed up. Take a look at the new screenshot! :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Ksane macrumors regular

Yea, Cydia's still broken. Don't hold your breath. Waiting on them to fix Cydia is like waiting on Apple.

3. maturola, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

While that may be true, it is a bit harsh to say it like that, you are comparing the work of 2 people (volunteers - no paid) with the work of an entire development team (Professional engineers with a nice Salary + benefices).

Also Saurik is aware of the issue however there are other issue that are priority, the formatting issue is actually not stoping the program from working, however there are some other non UI issues that are more critical at the moment.

4. TwoSocEmBoppers thread starter Guest

Gotcha!

It's not a huge issue, just a little annoying :D

5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

old news, this has been happening since day one.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm curious, does Saurik make any money off of the sales from the Cydia store. I honestly don't know and was just curious.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not from the App, he makes money from the Ads on Cydia (that are display on every single page or every single app that is on Cydia, free or paid).

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I'm just glad the thing finally works in Landscape. That blurb on the front page hasn't been updated in six months so I don't care about it too much.

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I think saurik is aware of this issue and working on it. I found a problem with the gui a few weeks back and contacted him via twitter to let him know.
    He replied the next day to thank me and said he is working on a fix.

The issue I found is when you edit the sections and click on the name of a section, it goes white or the text just dissapears completely.

Put it this way, he doesn't get paid to create or maintain Cydia so anything that he does do on it is normally done when he can as he more than likely either has a day job or has school to attend. Think yourself lucky that Cydia exists at all!

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I won't venture to say that either he breaks even, or makes millions, or loses millions, but there is profit involved. I know not having landscape and looking at that 10 month old message turned me off of buying much on my ipad. I definitely appreciate the groundbreaking work he's put into the whole ecosystem and hope he can make enough money to hire more people.

11. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

So, what's the state of Cydia on 4.2.1? I am going to need to run MyWi in a week or two and I'm trying to decide whether to do the tethered jailbreak, or temporarily revert my iPad back to 3.2.1. Other than the landscape problem, do Cydia and key apps like MyWi work OK on 4.2.1?

12. allaw macrumors member

I've seen that problem, but it doesn't show all the time, sometimes the formatting is correct. I'm not sure if there are fixes.

13. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

OK, so I decided to just be brave and do the redsn0w tethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 and see how things went. It all seems to work fine. I am able to run Cydia, MyWi and My3G after the jail break.

The only difficulty came with the several reboots and redsn0w "tethered boots" required to complete the jailbreak, get Cydia updated and get MyWi installed. The reboot after the MyWi install looked like trouble. It was stuck at the Apple logo screen. However, I was able to get to recovery mode by holding the power and home buttons for about 30 seconds. From there, I was able to get to DFU mode in redsn0w with the normal sequence one would use if the device was powered off.

14. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Geesh just use portrait

15. TwoSocEmBoppers thread starter Guest

Cydia is being updated as we speak! Hopefully well see some nice speed improvements and so formatting issues resolved!!!