Cydia getting 4.2.1 SHSH blob

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Junkboxy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Junkboxy macrumors member

Tonight I learned that the 3G does require SHSH blobs for the 4 series iOSes. Kinda explains why my Cydia homescreen states that it has the SHSH for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.1.

One time in Cydia, it asked me for permission to go get my SHSH and also said something along the lines of "You Want To Do This!" I did it at that time. But now my Cydia homescreen has no such option. Is there some other way to force a SHSH grab? (BTW TinyUmbrella simply connects to Cydia when you ask it).

Basically I'm wondering why I don't have a blob yet for 4.2.1 My iPhone is currently on 4.1, and has never been on 4.2.1. Do I actually have to go through the iTunes process of putting 4.2.1 on my phone for the 4.2.1 SHSH blob to become accessible to Cydia's tentacles?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Whateve SHSH files you can get has nothing to do with what OS your phone is currently running. It only has to do with what Apple is sending out, now only 4.2.1. Cydia's homescreen doesn't always show what SHSH files have been saved. To be sure what you have, use Tinyumbrella to request and save them on your computer. Whatever are saved locally are also saved on Cydia even if they don't all show up on the homescreen.

Wrong. Bad advice.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

+1 Don't listen to QuarterSwede when it comes to SHSH blobs.

5. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Make sure you have the most current build of TU.
    As mentioned you don't need to be on 4.2.1 to get those blobs.
    Just plug your iphone in and get em' right now off TU:D

6. QuarterSwede, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I thought you can't have the blobs for 4.2.1 if you've never installed 4.2.1. Is that incorrect?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bro, you're off on this one.
    You're usually on target with most things, you're surprising us all:D
    Is someone using your M.R. handle?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Lol. No. Contrary to belief, I'm just showing everyone that I'm not perfect ;)

9. Junkboxy thread starter macrumors member

That did it. I had tried TinyUmbrella 4.1 to no avail before I posted, and then later connected the dots about TU 4.1 mentioning that TU version 4.2.1 was available. TU 4.2.1 is equipped to snatch the 4.2 SHSHes. It seems to only connect to Cydia's server though. So I guess Cydia did have it, but just wasn't telegraphing that fact to me :confused:

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Cydia takes a while to update the SHSH list. Once you save with TinyUmbrella, the shsh blobs get sent to Cydia. You may not see them right away but Cydia has them.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Noone is bro, no worries:)

12. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I jb'd after they stopped signing 3.1.3, but otherwise I've every shsh blob for all the iOS 4s out - and I'm still on iOS 3.1.3.

Cydia remember's what it needs from your phone to generate a SHSH blob request, and does it for all new versions automatically if you hit the "make my life easier" button.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Thanks for the clear explanation. It makes a lot more sense now. :thumbsup:

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Actually, non jb can also save their SHSH blobs without ever installing Cydia. They just need to initiate the request through Tiny Umbrella. I did that with my iPad.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Chances are that this whole thing was unnecessary and that Cydia already had your 4.2.1 SHSH. The Cydia server automatically requests all new versions of the SHSH once you have your ECID on file without any further action on your part. Often it will fail to display on the main screen in Cydia, but this is usually just a bug in the display algorithm.

It is possible that your ECID was still in the queue for 4.2.1 download (it can take Cydia weeks to download new SHSHs for all of the millions of device IDs it has on file), and in that case using TU would have moved you to the front of the queue. But in general I think that's unnecessary except as a local backup in case Cydia and its multiple real-time backups should all fail.

16. headddamge macrumors newbie

restore iphone 3g 4.2.1 with a baseband of 6.15

so, i jailbroke then unlocked my iphone 3g. working great then i shut my phone off and it frozen on the apple logo, which at the time i thought was fine. because hey ill just restore it right? wrong i forgot that u had to update the baseband in oder to unlock it.... so now i have an iphone stuck in recovery mode... and i don't have a shsh blob is there anything i can do? please help! as of right now i have no phone.