Cydia guide for the new guys ..

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by beachfront71, Mar 30, 2011.

1. beachfront71 macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks in advance.
    Finally picked up an iphone 4 last week and absolutley love it. Jailbroke it this weekend using gpoisi0n and love it even more..

Now my question which I have had a heck of a time trying to find an answer to:

Can someone explain to me in laymans terms what the purpose of storing my ssh info during the Cydia set up will do for me? I am still in the "pending TSS queue" but really do not understand what or how to take advantage of this once I have the info stored?

When will this come in handy or when will I need to use it?

I have searched but have really not found an answer .. at least one that I understood ..

Guess I should also state this is a Vzw phone running 4.2.6

Thanks again.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

saving your SSH blobs will allow you to downgrade to previous iOS version if you upgrade but dont like the new iOS you have an option to downgrade by having your shsh blobs saved

3. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

hopefully within the next few days your SHSH blobs will be saved in cydia.

this is due to the version of iOS you're using, and how Apple allows upgrades and downgrades. As of now, one cannot downgrade to an earlier version of iOS because Apple doesn't "sign" (allow) it once an update has been issued for a few days.

when cydia saves this for you, you are then able to restore to 4.1,4.2, etc. without Apple blocking the request. This is good just in case you need to restore your iphone.

another good way of doing this is by using the TinyUmbrella application which does this instantly and locally on your machine.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

SSH = method of accessing the root files on your phone via WiFi
    SHSH = data files specific to your phone that allow you to downgrade to different versions of firmwares for your phone.

First time JB'ing, the SHSH's are saved in Cydia and take some time to show up on your home page whenever you open up Cydia. Completely normal.

Like the other poster said as well, you can use TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH's locally if you want to.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This may get you started it:

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

OMG I see the misinformation already in this thread. I wish those who didn't understand didn't advise other people.

Read the FAQ for TinyUmbrella here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/faq.html That website is the developer's site @Notcom.