cydia help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by curiousgg, Nov 17, 2010.

1. curiousgg macrumors member

I have a 3G iphone on 3.1 with base 4.26.08 that's unlocked and jailbroken. For the past several weeks (maybe a month) I've been unable to get Cydia to open up.

I've been meaning to upgrade to 4.0.1 (or maybe just 3.1.3 because I hear the 3g is slow on os4) and still maintain my unlock/jailbroken status.

Do you foresee any problems seeing that I can't open the cydia i currently have?

Thanks

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Not sure why Cydia might be crashing, but I would recommend upgrading to 4.1 not 4.0.1. 4.1 included some performance improvements for the iPhone3G. If you use Pwnage Tool you will be able to preserve your baseband and unlock again.

3. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...but I'm going to need a MAC to use Pwnage Tool right? I won't be able to unlock 4.1 currently using Windows, right?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes, Pwnage Tool needs to be run on a Mac. You can jailbreak with redsn0w but I woudn't advise upgrading to 4.1 then jailbreaking as you wouldn't be able to unlock. Using Pwnage Tool ensures that your baseband doesn't get upgraded, allowing for an unlock to still be possible.

5. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I upgraded to 4.1 and everything is running smoothly.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Great! Glad to hear. :)