cydia Impacter contra SemiRestore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by elga, Sep 29, 2015.

1. elga macrumors member

elga

What is the difference between Cydia Impacter and Semi Restore, they do the same I think, what is best. ?

2. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

Cydia Impactor is different than Semirestore as after the Cydia Impactor finishes, damaged/lost files will be repaired (back to Apple stock) and the device will no longer be jailbroken.

Cydia Impactor uses the firmware archives provided by Apple for its 'over the air' update feature. These files are ~2GB large, so Impactor goes to extreme lengths to minimize the amount of data it needs to download.

First, the update's 'bill of materials' is compared against the files on your device, generating a list of changes.

Then, all files on your device that have been modified or otherwise destroyed are downloaded directly from Apple.

In a series of carefully calculated file migrations, all new files are moved to the user partition, and all system data is moved back to the system partition.

Finally, all of the staged changes to the filesystem are 'committed', all user data is deleted, and iOS is told to run its 'reset all content and settings'.

When the device reboots, it will look as it did when you first turned it on. It will also no longer be jailbroken. If you want to jailbreak it, you will need to do so using a desktop jailbreaking tool.

Where as Semirestore can not and does not repair broken system files. All it does is:

Remove all Cydia apps and tweaks. It fixes host file if there's any issue with it, clear all user data, fixes issues of permissions and privileges, fixes issues on activation, fixes iMessage/Facetime issues, fixes Safe Mode issues randomly appearing and reinstalls Cydia (if deleted).

In short, if your iOS system files are corrupt Semirestore can't fix it. You should use Cydia Impactor for best results or to fix the issues with your iDevice.

Cydia Impactor only works if you're on iOS8.1+, though. For older versions, you can (have to) use Semirestore.

3. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I was just going to say all that!

Seriously though Cydia Impactor is that good. I have used it twice and it worked perfectly. It does take some time though to finish.

4. elga thread starter macrumors member

elga

Thnx for the explaining
    I have used SemiRestore a lot of times, but here last time I used Cydia Impactor, but I wasn't sure what the difference was.
    But now I see that you got a much cleaner phone with Impactor.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I used it after 43GB of music got corrupted and showed as other. Impactor took about 10 minutes to run on my 64GB 6+. I was able to immediately rejailbreak and sync my backup right back on.

6. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

My God don't talk to me about that music app. The amount of albums I have downloaded and it only downloads a few of the songs, plus it keeps stopping at the beginning of a song when playing music through Bluetooth.

7. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

Just don't forget to re-jailbreak ;)

8. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

9. fongyuen macrumors 6502

so if I'm on 8.4 and I use impactor, will I still be able to jailbreak it again afterwards?

10. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

Yes! :D

11. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

just dont let it autoupdate!!! :)