Cydia Impactor

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by matthew2926, Jul 18, 2015.

1. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

So Saurik has apparently just released a new tweak called Cydia Impactor which is designed to unjailbreak a device without the device being updated in the process. This allows the user to wipe the jailbreak and personal data while preserving the ability to jailbreak the device in the future. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this yet?

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

3. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

So basically.... Saurik has released a semi restore alternative? Yay? I don't get the point unless it makes jailbreak undetectable and you are able to use things like "erase all content and settings"...

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

A tutorial is really required to tap two buttons?????

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's exactly what it does.
    It removes the JB and erases everything.
    This way you don't have to restore and update to the latest ios version.

How It Works:
    All files on your device that have been modified or otherwise destroyed are downloaded directly from Apple. In a series of carefully calculated file migrations, all new files are moved to the user partition, and all system data is moved back to the system partition.

Up until this point, the idea is that no changes to your system have been made that are "unsafe": at any point, if Impactor fails/crashes or your device reboots, you can just run it again later. Finally, all of the staged changes to the filesystem are "committed", all user data is deleted, and iOS is told to run its "reset all content and settings".

The idea is that this "critical window" lasts only the final few seconds of a process that lasts for multiple minutes. (That said, I still highly recommend not at all "messing with" the app while it is running, and maybe if you have a lot of data this will take longer than I expect.)

When the device reboots, it will look as it did when you first turned it on; it will also no longer be "jailbroken": if you want to jailbreak it, you will need to do so using a desktop jailbreaking tool.

6. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

This tool will repair system files and unjailbeaks the device, two things that semi restore cannot do. Massive improvement compared to semi restore.

7. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I would like to know if this tool can save a device that's in a boot loop since many people lose their jailbreak this way.

It can repair system files. Would be an amazing tool if it can do this.

8. eyoungren, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well there's at least two reasons I can think of, one of them actually in the description.

- Restore a phone to stock and wiping all data without upgrading so it can be sold and the new owner can jailbreak it.

- The single biggest reason I would use it…Apple store appointment. So, what if you need to take your device in for service? I'd rather restore to a jailbreakable firmware in the event that all Apple does is FIX my phone versus replacing it - instead of restoring/upgrading and then finding out my phone is only being fixed, not replaced.

This to me makes the gamble on taking your phone in to Apple a bit more even.

9. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Hmmm... Wonder if this would work on ios 6.x. Probably not but i'd sure like to get my iPod touch 5th gen back to stock ios 6.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If your iPhone is in a bootloop, now would it be possible to access this tweak?

11. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Does anyone know if this will ever be iOS 7.1.2 compatible? That would be so awesome.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So far this only works on iOS 8.3 and 8.4
    Maybe in the future he could update it and make it compatible with older iOS versions.

13. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I think it'd be worth upgrading to 8.4 for this reason alone unless you're on 8.3 and happy with it

Tweak compatibility and resell value without risk or hassle of data being left around and selling as a "jail breakable version"

Win all around. Or if you want a clean slate to re -JB.

Saurik is king !!

14. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

After I tried a load of tweaks and deleting a lot of them I had a few problems and now that I have got my phone down to the way I wanted it I thought I would try this out.

It took about 10 minutes to run and when it did I restored to my backup that I had before I jailbreaked and then did the jailbreak again. Then I installed all my favourite apps and repos and the problems I had are now gone.

15. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Back up 1 page and look at all the problems people have clicking one button to jailbreak! Times have changed lol...

16. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Lol. Yes sad but true.

17. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

This is huge!! I hope some way to run it via ssh or something can be implemented for devices in boot loop

18. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

This will be invaluable will 8.4.1 comes out and 8.4 is no longer signed. For resale especially.

19. Applejuiced, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    This will always be valuable and useful no matter what ios version comes out or what Apples signs. That doesn't make any difference.
    With this package if you're on 8.3 or 8.4 you can always stay on that version and erase or put back to stock non JB version ios 8.3 or 8.4 no matter what Apple signs.

Edit. Learning new words:)

20. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd just like to know where 8.4.1 came from. As far as I know, 8.4 is the last release until 9.

22. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

8.4.1 was released sometime last week (well, Beta 1, so not final), so the assumption is that 8.4.1 (which supposedly closes the jailbreak) will pop up sometime soon.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah! Gotcha, thanks much!

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

25. CuffyBannaz macrumors newbie