Cydia installing problems

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lewisperry, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lewisperry, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011

Lewisperry macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone 3GS, I got my phone jailbroken by a friend with Cydia. I had to update my iPhone to get ride of the hacks becaouse of a fault with my signal. Any way I still want the hacks can I get them back without waiting for a newer version of Cydia ????

2. nwmtnbiker, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

3. Lewisperry thread starter macrumors newbie

Allot of help

Thanks so much I have been trying to find this out for a while

4. Lewisperry thread starter macrumors newbie

If something does go wrong is the effect of redsnow completely reversible ?? And what does the iPad baseband do for my iPhone ???

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You don't select the iPad baseband unless you need an unlock. If you are not desperate for the unlock don't even think about it. It will break your GPS and have other issues.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm surprised you got any help. just a fyi instulaous or pirating topics aren't allowed on this forum. even mentioning instulaous can get a thread closed. Just mentioning this for future reference.

7. awadeee, Jul 12, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If something were ever to go wrong with the jailbreaking process (it's never failed me), you can just put the phone in DFU mode and do a restore with iTunes.

Unless you are dependent on an unlock, I wouldn't go with the iPad baseband because it kills both your GPS and ability to restore or update to stock Apple firmware; you would have to create your own with Pwnagetool or Sn0wbreeze.

8. Lewisperry, Jul 12, 2011

Lewisperry thread starter macrumors newbie

What's an unlock ? So when I do this I will have Cydia

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Obviously you are not familar with these types of things, which is why you asked your friend to jailbreak in the first place.

Anyways, an unlock is the ability to run an unsupported carrier or any other carrier that is GSM based on the iPhone. Some carriers will do it legally for a fee, while another way is to unlock for free via a jailbreak and usually via ultrasnow (a program that unlocks the iPhone). You see, if you buy an iPhone via a carrier, it is locked to that carrier, which is why the phone is subsidized. If you buy factory-unlocked (unlocked from the start), you pay full price (because you practically own the phone, as you can use it with any carrier).

Of course, as of now, an unlocking with jailbreaking has not been perfected because the iPad baseband is usually the trick to unlock it. However, there has been a lot of issues with this in the long run. Therefore, this is a bad idea in theory if you mainly use GPS and you prefer restoring to Official Apple Firmware.

10. Lewisperry thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you have an iPhone ? And what software is the easiest for someone who doest now allot (me)and the safest ??!

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Do you need the unlock?

I really don't think you should be messing with this stuff, or we'll see another thread when you "brick" your iPhone.