Cydia keeps crashing on startup! what do i do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by andrewwg94, Feb 26, 2010.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

it won't start up. i tried removing it and reinstalling, but it doesn't help. i removed all the source(which i'll probably need back when i figure out the problem). i installed icy, but there are no categories for some reason (that was before removing the sources). i have terminal and ifile installed, so i have complete control over my phone, but i just don't know what to do. i even tried jailbreaking it with both blackra1n and redsn0w, but that doesn't seem to do anything at all. no, i can't restore it because it took me forever to get my phone to how it is now. edit: icy works now. i have rock too. but cydia is still not working.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Reinstalling Cydia will have thoroughly messed up apt. You will have lost all the information on your installed packages, so even if you fix Cydia it will not keep track of which packages you already have installed.

Rock is probably causing your Cydia problems. Sadly, Rock does not use apt, so it is impossible to really uninstall it. I'm sorry to say that I think restoring will be the only way really to fix your problem.

3. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

oh man, you are so right. i finally fixed cydia, just to realize that. is there anyway to get cydia to rebuild its database of installed apps? it doesn't see anything i have installed. for some reason the international keyboards were causing my cydia to crash. i had arabic and emoji, but they turned themselves off. i just re enabled them and cydia started working again. of all the googling i've been doing over the past two days, you're the only one that told me about this. almost every thread said to reinstall cydia, so i did.

if anyone comes here from google, go here: http://modmyi.com/forums/member-written-iphone-news/687013-cydias-unexplained-crash-fixes.html

4. Chiny macrumors 6502

Look man I thank you for posting that link, my Cydia was down for about a 5 weeks and I had just about givin up on it and relied on Rock for stuff, but when I check out the bad repo section and did what it said Cydia started to work again "I AM HAPPY" the universe has alined once again and all is well. Thank god I didn't have to do a restore that would-of sucked-a**. Thanks again:D:D:D:D

5. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

haha glad to help

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't know of any way to fix your apt database once you've corrupted it like that. Sorry.

7. Ilovelifehaha macrumors newbie

Im having the same problem I think. I jailbroke my iPod 2G in January and it been fine. Last night though my iPod completely crashed. I think it crashed because it was getting rid of the old outdated software, idk. I fixed then I jailbroke with GreenPois0n. I downloaded cydia but then when I go to open it it automatically crashes. How do I fix this?