Cydia - Make your life easier

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lionheartednyhc, Sep 16, 2009.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I read that Saurik is going to have Cydia do the "make your life easier" prompt again to help people with the 3.1 JB and get their ECID on file... but I still don't see it up. Has he done it yet?

2. bassjunky macrumors regular

I would like this as well. I don't see a way in Cydia to upload it manually or how to initiate the prompt.

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

4. bassjunky macrumors regular

5. seanhobbs macrumors newbie

cydia showing shsh's for 4.0 when I have never installed 4.0

I have a 3GS with 3.1.3, jail broken with spirit and I'm trying to restore to a non jail broken 3.1.3. Cydia shows it has shsh'2 for 4.0, but I have never installed 4.0 (or 4.0.1). How can I "un" break my phone back to 3.1.3?

I have edited the hosts file, and installed HotSpot Shield. I have tired to do it in DFU mode, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Sean

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can't go back to 3.1.3. Apple is no longer signing 3.1.3 so it is impossible to go back. You have no choice but to go up to 4.0 now once you start to restore. If you haven't started to restore yet, STOP! Stay on 3.1.3 because it can still be jailbroken, 4.0 can't. Having SHSHs in Cydia will only allow you to downgrade to 4.0 in the future.

My 3GS is the same way, only 4.0 in Cydia.

7. seanhobbs macrumors newbie

Spacekitty,

Thanks for the lightening fast reply. You confirmed what I was afraid of. Ever since I used Spirit, my car stereo and 3rd part accessories (even data cables) have stop recognizing my iPhone when it is attached. I thought that going back to an "un" jail broken state might fix the issue.

Thanks again,

Sean

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Only good solution for the future is to back up using say tiny umbrella. Save it to your hard drive then on cydia. You will still have problems with basebands but at least you don't have to worry about the firmware anymore. Takes tiny umbrella less then a 1 to store it for you.

9. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

How do you save this on Cydia? I already put it on my Mac and ran it.

10. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Can someone explain this to me? I saw it on Cydia and i dont quite understand why he wants the ECID.

I also read that thread thats linked in the above post but i still cant seem to understand.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Apple doesn't let you install anything but the most recent firmware. It prevents this by requiring you to get a signature from its server over the internet each time you want to install the OS. This signature is called an SHSH (which stands for signature hash), and it is unique to your device, based on its ECID.

Realizing that people might want or need to install versions of the firmware other than the most recent, Saurik developed a server which will request your SHSH from Apple and cache it so that, even if Apple stops signing, you will always be able to restore to versions you have on file with Saurik simply by forwarding the Apple signature server to his own server.

In order to make this request of Apple (and to serve the SHSH when you eventually wish to restore), Saurik needs to know your unique ECID. No personally-identifiable information is connected to your ECID, nor is there really anything he can do with your ECID (it's unique to your device, and is not much use to anyone else). And without it, there would be no way for Saurik to get your SHSH and back it up for you.

12. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

So should i give it to him or not?

Lol.. like what are majority of the people doing?

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You want me to make the decision for you? You've been given all the info you need to make the decision for yourself. Take a little responsibility for your own decisions.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Saurik has what like 2 million or more ECID's.

He hasn't misused them yet.

Apple servers have all our ECID's

AT&T has those ECID's being used on their network.

Now they have had a security breach. Go figure ! :eek:

15. Amon37 macrumors regular

I have a 3G and that "make your life easier" prompt came up for me last week I think.