Cydia Missing Help!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by redsox786, Feb 6, 2011.

1. redsox786 macrumors member

I had a 3GS with 4.1 firmware and 05.13.04 BB. I then followed this guide to create a custom 4.2.1 firmware using PwnageTool 4.1.3. I installed the custom firmware but I don't see Cydia installed. Please help! I need my unlock! I still have 05.13.04 BB.

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I believe this guide only show you how to update your Iphone to the 4.2.1 without upgrading your baseband. So, you still need to jailbreak it or use Redsn0w, mark install Cydia so Cydia can be added into your Phone and then download ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock your phone.

4. redsox786 thread starter macrumors member

And after using redsn0w to install cydia, I will still have a untethered jailbreak. correct?

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Yup. redsn0w won't touch anything, except for installing cydia. Worked for me with the new 4.2.1 untethered jb.

6. redsox786 thread starter macrumors member

ugh...just downloaded redsn0w 0.9.7b6, checked off install cydia. On my phone i see a white cydia icon and when I try to open it, it closes immediately. help!

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Do me a favor. Select 'Just boot tethered right now' and try again.

8. redsox786 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Lamina, that did the trick. I can now open Cydia. Do I need to do anything else now? Does my phone still have a untethered jailbreak?

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Looks to me like your jb is tethered. Try rebooting it to see if Cydia appears white, or not at all. If either of those happens, you've got a tethered jb, and you'll need to boot with Cydia each time. It's really not as bad as it sounds though. You'll very rarely have to reboot, and if something messes up, you can just respring. SBSettings is good for that.

10. redsox786 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried to reboot my phone and the Cydia icon does appear, but same problem: just opens and closes. The icon is not white. What should I do?

11. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Looks like you've got to stick to tethering the phone each time you reboot. Again, it's really not that big of a deal, since the phone very rarely needs to be rebooted.

I would suggest using the new greenpois0n jailbreak, but I'm not sure how that would affect the baseband (and your unlock). I don't want to give the wrong info.

Perhaps someone else could contribute?