Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Old iP4 had a technical issue, so it had to be replaced w. a new one. Updated to 4.1 firmaware, preserved 1.59 BB, and Jailbroke w/ Greenpois0n. No problems. I did not use pkgBackup becasue I wanted a clean stock phone to take back to the Apple Store.

Now I do not have any of my previously purchased apps from Cydia marked "officially purchased". I am being asked to pay for them all again. I'm all about paying for a great product, and the total of my purchased apps is probably less than $50 - but if I don't need to buy them again, I'd rather put those funds toward additional apps rather than the ones I've already paid for...

Does anyone have an idea of how I can get Cydia to recognize that I've already purchased certain apps? I've been through 2 other IP4s (Jailbroken) and never had this issue before....

Thanks, all!

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2009
I'm not sure about how to do that but in the future I would suggest using AptBackup ... It backs up your apps to your iTunes backup... After restoring from Backup.. Reinstall/ run this app to get all your Cydia(purchased/ free) apps reinstalled by tapping the "Restore" button. I run it whenever I add/ delete apps...then sync with iTunes.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I'm not sure about how to do that but in the future I would suggest using AptBackup ... It backs up your apps to your iTunes backup... After restoring from Backup.. Reinstall/ run this app to get all your Cydia(purchased/ free) apps reinstalled by tapping the "Restore" button. I run it whenever I add/ delete apps...then sync with iTunes.

Thanks. As I understand it, pkgBackup is the preferred choice. Any reason you recommend aptBackup over that (I have no experience w/ either)?

Thanks!

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
Cydia can't tell that you own the app until you identify yourself to it. You do that by trying to re-purchase something you already own. You won't be charged twice if you use the same details. Just log in and you should get the message that let's you add the new phone as a device on your account.

Then all your apps will show correctly as "purchased" in Cydia and you can install as normal.
pkgbackup is a great tool, but you would still have to do this step to download it on a new device. all it saves you is time and effort remembering all the packages you have to install.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Can you elaborate on how this is dine? Is it ethical (subjective, I know...) &/or legal?

Forget that, no it is not ethical.

Your apps are there just fine, all you need to do is to link your new iPhone Cydia with the ID that you used when you originally bought the app, Cydia use either facebook or google ID. For that. I don't remember exactly the step by step but just google it, once your new Cydia is link with that ID IT WILL show you what you already paid for.

Actually just hit "buy" for one of the app you bought it will ask you to login and the it will see that you already paid

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008

Saurik should buy that from whoever made it and make it part of Cydia. That's one of two reasons (other being speed) why i liked Rock SOOO much better than Cydia.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Got it - thanks, all. Clicking purchase, then signing in worked. Should have pushed a bit further before posting, but at least it's here now for anyone else that get's confused at the "purchase" screen (didn't turn up in a search for me). Thanks again!

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Got it - thanks, all. Clicking purchase, then signing in worked. Should have pushed a bit further before posting, but at least it's here now for anyone else that get's confused at the "purchase" screen (didn't turn up in a search for me). Thanks again!

Well, I "pushed a bit further" and got charged again for an app I had previously purchased. As reported elsewhere, emails go unanswered. Worse, there is no record of, or any kind of receipt for Cydia Store purchases. For example, Amazon shows nothing under my account purchase history. This system seriously blows. I'm left with the choice of re-purchasing apps, resorting to cracked apps, or doing without. Lame!

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
Well, I "pushed a bit further" and got charged again for an app I had previously purchased. As reported elsewhere, emails go unanswered. Worse, there is no record of, or any kind of receipt for Cydia Store purchases. For example, Amazon shows nothing under my account purchase history. This system seriously blows. I'm left with the choice of re-purchasing apps, resorting to cracked apps, or doing without. Lame!

So what did you do with the email receipts you got originally? Delete them? Amazon doesn't just delete that stuff automatically either... Are you sure you bought the apps?
I have NEVER known Saurik not to respond to emails looking for confirmation of purchases. He got back to me within a day.
It is amazing how you can convince yourself you bought something, when in fact you were using a cracked version on your old phone and simply "forgotten" to buy it.
If you really have purchased something twice and can show Saurik that, I am sure he will refund the purchase if you provide all the details and give him a reasonable amount of time to respond...

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
So what did you do with the email receipts you got originally? Delete them? Amazon doesn't just delete that stuff automatically either...

The point is that I've never gotten any email confirmation from Amazon nor Cydia for any purchases. Also, none of these purchases have ever showed up under Recent Activity for my Amazon account.

It is amazing how you can convince yourself you bought something, when in fact you were using a cracked version on your old phone and simply "forgotten" to buy it.

It is amazing how you are so quick to assume that i pirated the apps, especially with the thread topic entitled "Cydia not recognizing purchased apps"...

I bought Cyntact (Cydia's first available paid app) the day it was made available, and have bought many others, including

Mobile Dashboard
SBOrganizer
SnapTap
Snappy
IFile
Universal Search
Safari Downloder
3G Unrestrictor
Inspell
Voicemail Forwarder
Bitesms
MQuickDo
TetherMe
iTether, ect

Luckily i was able to transfer my MyWi 4 license from Rock and re-download without having to pay another $20.00. ;)

Loubonez

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Amazon Payments doesn't receive an info on what app you purchased. In email receipts and on the Account Activity page*, there is nothing recorded in the "For:" field. Cydia really needs some sort of account system biult in to the app, where users can see previous purchases and redownload them easily.

*Important to note, after rummaging through my account page on Amazon, that Amazon Payments purchases are completely separate.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
it goes buy your email in many cases also some Devs don't allow you to transfer but most do.. you can contact Saurik and ask him if you bought something already.

Saurik should buy that from whoever made it and make it part of Cydia. That's one of two reasons (other being speed) why i liked Rock SOOO much better than Cydia.

I am playing a little tiny violin for you... also get the new Cydia we have threads on it.. lots of improvements. Since Rock no longer exists there is no reason for us to discuss which is better and why. they say ICY is back maybe that will make you happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.