dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
SCAM

Cydia apps could never work on a phone that is not jailbroken since you do not have root access - which is required.

But by clicking on the scammers website/YouTube page, you generated some revenue for the scammer :(

I reported this hoping the mods will Wasteland it so the scammer does not gain any additional revenue.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
SCAM

Cydia apps could never work on a phone that is not jailbroken since you do not have root access - which is required.

But by clicking on the scammers website/YouTube page, you generated some revenue for the scammer :(

I reported this hoping the mods will Wasteland it so the scammer does not gain any additional revenue.

Did you try it? It looks like a kid on the video.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Terrible that they use a kid to sound more legit.

Why?
Would you believe a kid with a wild story/idea like that or an adult presenting it?
I think I wouldn't believe a kid but would lean more to believe a professional sounding adult instead.
Either way, its a scam to generate clicks/views and cash revenue to the poster of the video.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Why?
Would you believe a kid with a wild story/idea like that or an adult presenting it?
I think I wouldn't believe a kid but would lean more to believe a professional sounding adult instead.
Either way, its a scam to generate clicks/views and cash revenue to the poster of the video.

Well, his voice sounded like a kid's voice.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
There are many kids in youtube showing what they've learned, so it doesnt have to be him the hacker.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't think OpenAppMkt itself is completely a scam. It's just misrepresenting itself. The "apps" it installs are not able to interact with the file system or OS; they're just links to HTML5 "web apps." Basically, they're doing the same thing Apple did when the iPhone was first released: trying to pass off web apps as a legitimate alternative to a real app store.

The issue is that anyone can add an "app" to their market, and a bunch of people have created fake "Cydia" apps. Mostly they're just chock full of ads, but some of them do contain links to info on non-jailbreak tweaks and tricks.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I don't think OpenAppMkt itself is completely a scam. It's just misrepresenting itself. The "apps" it installs are not able to interact with the file system or OS; they're just links to HTML5 "web apps." Basically, they're doing the same thing Apple did when the iPhone was first released: trying to pass off web apps as a legitimate alternative to a real app store.

The issue is that anyone can add an "app" to their market, and a bunch of people have created fake "Cydia" apps. Mostly they're just chock full of ads, but some of them do contain links to info on non-jailbreak tweaks and tricks.

So, basically you are saying that some of these cydia tweaks really work on a non-jailbroken iphone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.