General Cydia "Sections" and Search

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Qaanol, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

In Cydia I have disabled a number of “Sections” so they don’t appear in the list. Notably, I have zero interest in themes of any sort, so I have turned off all theming sections.

However, when I do a Search, themes still show up in the results. Essentially, turning off Sections only affects the Sections list, and has no effect on Searches. I find this less-than-satisfactory, and I would like a way for search results to only show up from the Sections I have enabled.

Anyone else feel the same?

This could be implemented without putting any extra load on Cydia, by having the Search still return all the results it currently does, and leaving the decision to hide or show each result up to the processing on my phone—that is the kind of thing TableViews are great at, so it should be pretty easy to implement.

And there could be a simple on/off toggle for it, perhaps on the Search screen itself, so if I’ve done a search, and don’t see what I’m looking for, I could easily switch off the toggle to reveal all results from all Sections. And just as easily switch it back on later to show only the Sections I’ve enabled.

Would you find such a feature useful?

Also, I’d like to see a Search-this-Section field when I’ve viewing a single Section, but that is less of a priority than the above. I really want the option to have Search results hide items from Sections I’ve disabled.

2. tateu macrumors 6502

Yes. I hate having to scroll through the millions of theme related items that I will never be interested in.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

maybe if you could just search from within the sections part (and maybe this is what you said) and it only return results from that section.

4. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yes everything still appears when you do a search. The main purpose of turning them off in the sections tab is so whenever there are new packages uploaded to Cydia they won't appear in the changes tab. This way you'll easily and clearly see only new packages that pertain to your interests, blocking out everything you don't care to see.