Cydia white icon 5.0.1 iPhone 4 redsnow

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dangerous Theory, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I just used the latest redsnow tool to jailbreak my 5.0.1 iPhone 4. The cydia icon is white and inaccessible - when I click it, it tries to open for a split second then closes. I read that tethered boot will fix it, but it didn't for me. I also tried re jailbreaking to no avail.

What else can I do? JB is sort of useless without Cydia :/

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have a tethered jailbreak. You need to boot tethered with redsn0w every time the phone reboots.

If this is not working, the re-jailbreaking it. Make sure to point at OS5 when redsn0w asks for it instead of 5.0.1.

3. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

No offense, but I don't think you've read my post.

4. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Did you rejailbreak or reboot using redsn0w? They are two different options. After you install cydia you need to reboot with redsn0w.

Just to clarify, did you do that?

5. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Absolutely

6. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Plug iPhone into computer
    Run redsnow
    Click "just boot"
    Follow redsnow instructions

Worked for me

7. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I don't know if you've already tried this so I apologize in advance if you have. However, it's the only suggestion I have other than a complete restore and trying to jailbreak again.

Anyway, since you already have redsn0w downloaded, just download the 5.0 IPSW, not 5.0.1. Point redsn0w to that and it will give you the "we'll use this for the rest of your session" thing or something to that affect. After that, try the just boot option and see if it fixes it.

8. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Did you point it to a downloaded IPSW or used the fetch option redsn0w has?

9. Dangerous Theory, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

I did try this and I get the same issue :/ I've even restored iPhone to factory settings and then done the exploit, and the same issue.

I downloaded the iOS 5.0 IPSW myself.

Is it possibly due to the fact that it's the original iOS 5 GM seed from day 1 release? Should I re download the IPSW and try again?
    EDIT: No luck with that either...

10. applefan808, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  11. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

I did yet another restore to factory settings and tried again. Still occurring...

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Maybe a run down of event sequence would help, somewhere i goes wrong for you.

The video is pretty much self explanatory.

I have 5.0 rs jailbreak, but 5.01 should be same sequence.

Restore to stockfirmware

put in DFU

jailbreak with redsnow

after reboot put in DFU again

now run "just boot" in redsnow

it should boot with pineapple logo

after that cydia should work

13. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I had a similar issue when I updated my OS thru iTunes but downloaded an IPSW and pointed redsn0w there. Caused that same problem. Interesting.

14. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

As long as you restore and point redsn0w to the same file it should work.

15. spadz93, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

spadz93 macrumors member

currently experiencing the same problem...

EDIT: found out what was doing it wrong for me. when i tried booting tethered the first time, i didnt see that it gave me an unrecognized build error. i restarted redsn0w, selected the iOS 5.0 firmware for my model, and THEN tried booting. that helped for me, hope it helps for you

16. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Lol I had tried everything suggested above yesterday in a million different ways and it didn't work. I try it again first time today, and works instantly...

17. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Just thought I'd post the solution that worked for me in case anyone comes to this thread looking for help:

I was jailbreaking 5.01, but selected the 5.0 firmware, as recommended by iClarified. The dialog says the selected firmware will be used for the rest of the session, but this is NOT correct.

What I had to do to get rid of the "White Cydia" problem was to quit Redsnow, re-open it, choose the 5.0 firmware again, then do the "Just Reboot" process, starting with the phone connected and off. That fixed it. Apparently it was using the wrong firmware when rebooting.

18. rleelucas macrumors newbie

this is exactly what i was doing wrong. selecting 5.0 firmware AGAIN right before "just reboot" fixed the problem completely. THANKS!

19. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

Same problem, same solution. They should get rid of that dialog box that says the selected FW will be used for the rest of the session, because that's not what happens.

20. shanezam203 macrumors member

[​IMG]

Today I updated from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and I can NOT get my iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 to get rid of the White Cydia app and access the brown functioning jail broken Cydia. :eek:

I am pointing to the 5.0 ipsw, and it appears to jail break. I've done multiple reboots and re jail breaks + checked the box install cydia but no luck. Before each attempt I go into Extras and Select IPSW iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw. is that correct?

I have tried it on a 2nd computer and it appears to complete the Jail Break & reboot as mentioned above, but I can not get rid of the white Cydia. any suggestions?

21. shanezam203 macrumors member

Interesting I was able to jailbreak and get Cydia to work after another restore and a 2nd jailbreak and 1 reboot.

Thanks for the help on here,

Shane

22. mrjailbreak macrumors newbie

and the process that a lot of users has explained above (selecting iOS 5 instead of iOS 5.0.1 in Redsn0w), you have to do it every time a tethered boot is required because iPhone dev team has not updated Redsn0w for iOS 5.0.1 but you can point it to iOS 5 and jailbreak and tethered boot on iOS 5.0.1

23. shanezam203 macrumors member

yeah I have 5.0.1 latest firmware on my iPhone and I was pointing to IPSW 5.0 and it would jailbreak but my Cydia was white. multiple reboots wouldn't get it to change to the clickable brown icon...

after a restore and a 2nd attempt at jailbreaking it now works. thanks for the help,

Shane